Signs of infection from bronchiectasis

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was diagnosed with bronchiectasis about two years ago and have noticed that I have flare ups about every five months or so. Its always there but then all of a sudden the tiredness hits and no matter how much rest I have its still that fatigue that won't go away.

Usually before an infection I cough up more mucus and spots of blood, does anyone else have a few good months free from the horrible symptoms? I have a diary of when I've felt bad and that's when I noticed the five month period.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was diagnosed 6 years ago, but had been suffering the symptoms for many years previous to that. My own experience is that, if I make an effort to keep physically fit (fast walking for half an hour each day, with one day of more intensive exercise per week) I can ward off attacks of bronchitis, or - at the very least - lessen their impact when they do occur; keeping to a fitness regime, I can stay free of bronchitis for up to two years or so. Needless to say I also try to eat reasonably well, don't smoke etc. Any stressful time, however, can reduce the effectiveness of all this (this past year, losing my Mum and having overly busy time at work has meant I've suffered a couple of horrible chest infections that were slow to shift).

I now have a nebuliser that I use if I start to feel the onset of a cold, and - as a result of a tip from someone else on this site - I also take turmeric tablets. I do the 'active cycle of breathing' exercises most days (should be everyday really!).

That's my experience - that bronchiectasis can be managed with a good deal of success, for some of the time anyway, but of course we're all different in how the condition affects us.

Wishing you all the best with dealing with bronchiectasis and I do hope you're able to reduce the frequency of the chest infections; I know what you mean by the fatigue - I've had horrible episodes of bronchitis that go on for at least a month and are very draining, but I do believe that there are things that can be done to help keep these at bay. 

With best wishes

Sally

• Posted

Thanks for your positive feed back. I do my breathing exercises daily, and I've found that since using the preventative steroid inhaler there's less blood present.

I walk to work which is about 15 minutes and try to eat healthy.

I've also had an episode of depression/anxiety which as you say after your loss does bring you down. Thanks again for your positive feed back.

• Posted

My flare-ups are irregular and not really predictable (I'm having one right now), but I know what you mean. I'll have a good month or two, *maybe* 3 or 4, and then wham, it reminds me it's still here. Mine don't necessarily coincide with infection, though; they come with lots of blood. Then it's a few weeks of antibiotics and extra steroids to get everything calmed down till the next time.

• Posted

You say you have a lot of blood, I used to then my doctor prescribed the steroid inhaler, I'm glad to say since using it I only have small amounts now.

I have upper lobe bronchi and my Airways were very sensitive but fingers crossed the inhaler has lessened the damage. Have you been prescribed any steroids?

• Posted

Hi Jules,

Yes smile I'm on a steroid/bronchodilator inhaler and oral prednisone, but it hasn't made much difference in terms of how much blood I cough up.

I developed a severe pulmonary fungal infection in the mid-1990s that went misdiagnosed as chronic bronchitis for almost two years, and my right upper/middle lobes were heavily damaged, so now they're just really sensitive and friable.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that it must be quite scary, I know it frightened me when mine was bad, I've heard of a few cases that was misdiagnosed. Hopefully now BX is getting picked up early as more people are suffering with it.

Stay well

• Posted

jules27056, yes, I have been blessed with 8 pretty good months! I am on  2x daily antibiotic and steroid, taken as inhalants through my Navage, due to MAC abscessus, MRSA, and acintobacter Baumanii in my sinuses, but nevertheless, I’m grateful!
  • Posted

Hi Jules...

I was diagnosed at the end of 2016 but had been struggling before that. I seem to get regular bouts of being generally unwell too. I was talking to my GP about feeling so lethargic wondering if it was my thyroid but could just be the BX. 

I agree about getting out there and walking...during the hot weather I was swimming in the sea too. 

I'm off on holiday to Spain in a couple of weeks and looking forward to some sunshine.

I actually do much better health wise with the hot weather but I know some of you don't. It's the damp weather that affects me worse. 

Anyone else troubled by a fast health rate? Mine seems to have been flagged up...

We'll all just keep hanging in their and sharing our tips and comments that I find so useful. 

Janet...no I'm not 24, I'm 67!! 

• Posted

Sorry that should say...fast heart rate! 
    • Posted

I'm envious, swimming in the sea haven't done that in years good for you, I keep meaning to start swimming, I'm afraid I'm one of those people who just puts things off, get in from work and I'm done for the day! But I promised my respiratory nurse I would start this year so...

We're all different and there's so many stories of people having this now I suppose it's all thanks to research and having the right information to help us live as normally as possible.

• Posted

Hi Janet,

Talk about fast heart rate!  Mine is often over 100 and it scares me.  I think it goes together with low oxygen intake and the body having to breathe harder.  The faster metabolism also makes me burn more calories and lose weight.  I have been practicing mindfulness of late and that helps a bit.  Not easy to do either but they say it gets better the longer you stay with it.

Louise

• Posted

I'm blessed that I live in Hastings so right by the seaside. 

I used to go to the pool but wondered if I was picking things up that made me ill...not that I'm saying the sea is healthy either!! 

• Posted

I don't seem to be aware of mine which is maybe strange? I don't have blood pressure issues or low oxygen levels so don't really know what it's about except the strain of breathing? 

My metabolism is naff...I seem to eat so little to maintain my weight. 

• Posted

Oh, I have the fast heart rate too. My resting rate is rarely under 85bpm and is usually in the 90s or 100s. My pulmonologist says it's because with BX, your body can treat pretty much any activity as serious  exertion. Having the lung damage makes the heart have to work harder.

• Posted

Are u doing daily air way clearance?

When u get sick do u go on antibiotics?

• Posted

Yes I do them twice a day, usually for about 10minutes, take antibiotics when I get unwell (temperature, blood in mucus etc)

It's just the worry of taking too many so I try my best to stay well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.