Signs you might not have threadworms

Posted , 25 users are following.

DON'T BELIEVE ALL THE HORROR STORIES THAT SAY "ONCE YOU GET THREADWORMS YOU HAVE THEM FOREVER". THIS IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE.

I thought I had threadworms 3 times, and I spent several months of my life going crazy trying to get rid of them. It turns out I was actually making the problem worse, and I'm so glad I found out the real cause, because otherwise I could have carried on that way forever. Here are some things I learned that I think are worth sharing, so hopefully other people don't go through the same thing I did.

Signs you might not have threadworms:

1) You feel them crawling during the day and not just at night.

2) Other people in your family don't catch them or don't feel them.

3) You have repeatedly taken the medication and been through the hygiene measures and it seems to have little or no effect.

4) You have not actually seen a definitive living threadworm, and you have tried doing tape tests, for example even right after you feel them crawling.

In my case, the cause of the crawling feeling was actually overwashing. I expect this is common problem in association with threadworms. See, I did originally have a threadworm infection (a year and a half earlier), and that made me become obsessive about washing my bottom. After reading the horror stories here, I wanted to make sure I completely got rid of them. I would spend at least a couple of minutes just washing around my anus to make sure no threadworm eggs got left behind. It turns out that washing so thoroughly, with soap, makes the skin in this area super-sensitive, and it starts tickling occasionally for no reason. And that tickling feels EXACTLY like threadworms. I swear it is indistinguishable.

A conversation I had with my mum, when I still thought I had threadworms and she suggested that it might just an itch. I responded with: "It's not an itch, I can feel it crawling out and across my skin. I KNOW what threadworms feel like. I first found out I had them BECAUSE I could feel them, it was only afterwards that I saw one. I've never had that feeling before then, ever in my life. So I know this is them again, because there's nothing else that would cause a sensation like that."

Turns out I was wrong! It honestly can feel like they are crawling 'out and across your skin' even when they are not.

Other thoughts:

* All the scientific studies say that threadworms come out only at night, e.g. after 9 pm. I believe this is correct.

* A few people have asked how quickly mebendazole works, and how effective it is. I don't know for definite, but I personally believe it kills worms quickly (within 5 days), and is probably close to 100% effective. This is because my own feelings of having worms changed from nighttime-only to daytime within a few days, and so I think it is quite common for the over-sensitive skin thing to kick in quickly once you start washing to get rid of the threadworms.

What I would do if I ever thought I had threadworms again:

1) take the mebendazole once a week for a few weeks (6 at maximum)

2) make sure I don't wash too thoroughly after the first few weeks, and get an emollient-based soap-substitute (available from a pharmacist, usually used for eczema).

3) go and see a doctor if it didn't go away.

My problem went away within a couple of days after I stopped over-washing.

I hope this helps other people, and if it does, please, PLEASE come back and post to say so. Or if it doesn't work, or you disagree with me, or you don't believe me, you're welcome to post that too. I feel like this forum has become over-run with scare stories and unhelpful advice, and nobody seems aware of other possible causes for threadworm-like symptoms.

3 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I want to personally thank you cherimoya! My son was diagnosed with pinworms almost two weeks ago. I found this site and read all these stories and have been depressed and cleaning relentlessly. I don’t know if I have them but have had sensations at times and seen things in my stool that are questionable. I believe I ititated my anus as I was able to see trace blood after so much cleaning and wiping... all this to say, I feel like what you have stated may be the case for me. I will continue treatment with my son but will be more cautious about overdoing it. 
    • Edited

I’m really glad this helped you! It’s a shame it doesn’t appear to be more widely known that overwashing can mimic the symptoms of threadworms, because I feel like a lot of people get into the same situation. Thank you for posting to say that this helped you.
  • Posted

Hi. Bumping again as I'm unsure if I have threadworms...

So I suffer from hems (ongoing saga) and last night after applying latest round of treatment, there appeared to be a worm on my finger (tmi I know and I'm sorry). For a moment I thought it was nothing but I checked my back passage again and low and behold was able to easily retrieve more. I'm not sure if the ointment had made the area too slippery for them to slink off. However, I'm not 100% sure. They were a little thicker than expected (definitely thicker than cotton) and didn't really wriggle... although one or two curled up for a second. Half of me wondered if it was just dead skin. I wasn't desperately itchy. Just the usual that I feel from having these hems. Same tonight but not seen anything this time. Can anyone tell me definitive symptoms and what they look like? I can't get into my GP any time soon.

I have no children and am not sure how I would have even picked up threadworms.

• Posted

Unfortunately the eggs to these bugs can survive weeks on surfaces... So you may have just touched something that somebody who has the bugs touched.... And maybe you casually went to eat and forgot to wash your hands first before eating
    • Posted

It’s really hard for me to say if you have had threadworms or not. Yes, you could have picked them up from a public surface or food item. If you’re not sure, you could always take the treatment just in case. It works, and then don’t sweat it.

My advice is more intended for people who have had them, have been through several rounds of treatment, and then believe they can’t get rid of them because they continue overwashing (which is what happened to me).

• Edited

Well my girls first got the bugs in December... We did two rounds of prescription.... Then I think I got them so we did another two rounds.... And reeses as precaution... Girls have never had symptoms again.. And I check their bottoms here and their at night..... But I swear I still have them... But I haven't seen them. So it may be some paranoia mixed in.... I have gotten so stressed out I have to pee really frequently (no I'm not. Diabetic, really healthy person) I'm doing laundry daily, we spray our panties with a vinigar, \water\clove oil mixture before taking them off as well as spraying toilet seat after each use.

I have been bleach wipe cleaning all door handles, sink faucets and garlic\coconut oil on anus at night.

For my self I have also been taking grape fruit pills, garlic pills, pro biotics, wormwood \blackhull complex mixture off and on (only take for 10 days at a time then take a break) and benonite clay liquid form.

I was still feeling itchy during the day but read your post and started putting plain coconut oil on my bottom during the day.... I feel better but still a little paranoid... So irritated skin was part of my problem

• Posted

I have been cleaning and washing like a mad woman since I first saw the thing. Can see it becoming quite stressful. What will coconut oil do? I was using that for my existing issues down there. I took some Ovex yesterday and although I still don't have any terrible itching or could see anything when I went to the toilet, there's definitely something there. Is it possible for symptoms to be quite mild do you know??

• Edited

Did you read my post? If you have no signs of threadworms apart from a slight itch, and you have been washing like a madwoman, then I think it’s highly likely that you don’t have threadworms any more.

If you haven’t already done so, you could take 2-4 doses of Ovex (menendazole) to be sure, 2 weeks apart each time. After that, I strongly suggest you don’t worry and go back to your normal behaviour.

After I stopped over washing my bum, my itching cleared up completely. It’s now 4 years on and I’ve had no relapse. Overwashing was the ongoing issue, not threadworms.

• Posted

Hi I do t know if you're still replying to this forum.. well over the past few weeks I noticed the itch then nearly had a heart attack when I discovered j had them. I've read the Horry stories and says they don't ever go away. And in so paranoid they'll come back me and my whole family have taken the medication and I go over and spray disinfectant over my too. Washing and change clothes and bed cloths everyday. How long does it take for it to go. Do I clean for 2 weeks then take the second tablet then take the second tablet and clean like this for another two weeks I'm experiencing an itch everyday during they day but it's o y been the 4th day since medication and in so scared if getting them again. Them coming back. Cuz I heard they comeback easily and once I take the meds they'll go away bit can come back again

• Posted

They do go away. Don’t let this website scare you. You have to keep up the cleaning/sheet changing. I have given the whole family medication once every 2w for 2 mos. probably overkill, but I’m still seeing dead ones every now & again in diapers so dr recommended keep treating. 

• Posted

Alendazole & Mebeandazole (sp). Reeces/Pin X did not work at all. 

• Posted

So what are you doing now? Have you cleared everyone up? You’re first post sounded like something was working which is why I asked what you were using..
    • Posted

I am still seeing dead ones in poop. Bleh. It has been 6w. My Peditrician told me to dose kids every 2w for 2-3 mos. Very much overkill, but I want this done. I relaxed the cleaning some. Changing sheets every 2-3 days instead of daily & vacuum every 3 days. Towels& pjs get changed daily. I ordered Vermox from Australia and that is what everyone gets. I inspect kids bottoms every couple of nights with flashlights and no sign of them. I read some where that you can see them dead in poop for up to a month afterward. These things are a nightmare. No one has itchy or symptoms though. 

• Posted

Ugh I feel your pain girl! We’ve done albendazole two weeks apart and in between I’m doing the Reese’s.  If you’re seeing dead ones and nothing alive then the treatment sounds like it’s working. They say it takes 90 days to be done.  Did you all have them? I started w itching and then they went to my girl area and bladder. I develop a uti and bv. After seeing drs and no results I diagnosed myself and Checked my kids and yup all 3 had them! I’ve never found them on myself. It’s been exhausting. I’m doing the same w cleaning. Changing bedding every few days.  Underwear morning and night  and towels daily. Have you heard of Diatomaceous Earth? I also just started parafree by young living essential oils. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.