Silent Migraine? Please help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

?I've recently been told that I've had a silent migraine.. Basically, on Sunday (12-03-17) I was bent over picking washing up off the floor and as I came up my hearing on my left side went and was replaced by a large ringing noise which I've been told is tinnitus. About an hour after my hearing went my check was totally numb as if I'd been to the dentist to have a tooth removed. The numbing would come an go on and off throughout the day. When I woke up on the Monday morning I felt awful, my check was totally numb and so was my entire left side, it wasn't like pins and needles it just felt so heavy as if they weren't my limbs. I went to my GP and he referred me straight to the hospital as he was concerned I'd either had a stroke or I had bleeding on the brain.

?When I was at the hospital  they ran bloods, sent me for a chest x-ray, 2 CT scans and an MRI scan. Everything came back normal- no signs of tumours, no bleeding, no clots, normal blood flow etc. There was absolutely nothing showing up on any of the tests. The first consultant I saw put it down to a medical mystery and told me there are some things medicine just can't explain and I was discharged from hospital on the Tuesday afternoon.

?By Wednesday I had blochy vision, vomiting, a pulsating feeling in my left leg- it literally felt like something was trying to burst through my leg- my left arm was numb and I felt so dizzy I didn't know where to put myself.

?I went back to my GP on Thursday and he sent me back to hospital where they ran more bloods and have now said it's silent migraine- so I have all these awful symptoms just without the headache.

?This is all totally new to me- I don't know how to tell if the symptoms coming and going are a sign of a new migraine or if it's the same one and the symptoms just come and go as they please? If anybody can offer any advice or share their experience I would be so appreciative because I have no idea how long this episode is going to last. It's been the worst 6 days of my life with no signs of it letting up anytime soon.

?Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, what an awful time you're having! First know this will pass. It's miserable, frightening but not permanent.

Do you have a history of migraine? Are you in menopause? Do you have menstrual cycle headaches? How about in your family? (Parents)

I have hemiplegic migraine, migraine triggers affect my motor abilities; walk, talk etc. Like a stroke, but recovery is complete when episode passes- sometimes weeks long. Mine is genetic but triggered by menopause. My neurologist has me on a calcium channel blocker med, and it helps.

Research all you can and I am sure sufferers here will chime in on suggestions for you,too. You're not alone and again this will pass. Stay strong. Xx

• Posted

Hi,

?Thanks for your reply, no menopause just yet, I'm 24 years old and very rarely suffer with headaches- I don't tend to even suffer with them when I'm on my period.

My Mum started with migraines about 15 years ago and hers are just like yours, she's unable to walk or talk to the point where she has to be carried to bed and will literally stay bed bound until she can move. Her entire body shuts down.

I'm just at a complete loss- I've been back in touch with my GP today and they've told me to go back to the hospital but when I went to the hospital yesterday they've told me to go to my GP because theres nothing showing on any of the scans and they're comfortable that this is a matter that should be treated by the GP. I feel like I'm now being passed from pillow to post and in the meantime I've got these awful symptoms that don't seem to want to subside.

?Again, thank you for your reply and it's a relief to know I'm not alone and just hope it will pass sooner rather than later. xx

• Posted

HiI HAVE DIAGNOSIS OF VESTIBULAR MIGRAINE MY SYMPTOMS ARE IMBALANCE,DIZZINESS NAUSEA, BLURRED VISION AN SENSITIVITY TO LIGHTS.I AM A BIS DRIVER THAT HAS FILED FOR SOCIAL SECURITY I BWEN OUT OF WORK 9 MONTHS.ITS NOT MUCH THEY CAN REALLY DO BUT TRY U ON A BUNCH OF MEDS HOPING SOMETHING WORKS
    • Posted

Hi,

?Thanks for your reply, I've been told mine are silent migraine my GP have referred me to a neurologist so fingers crossed they'll sort things out. I hope you get sorted soon!

• Posted

Glad to hear you're seeing a neurologist. Keep notes on your daily symptoms and let dr know about your family history. There are many treatments out there to help. Ice on back of my neck helps if I catch it quickly.

• Posted

I've received a letter today with a different diagnosis to silent migraine. It's come back with Hemiplegic migraine.

• Posted

Really?? Oh goodness. Well, I know this HM well. sad Hang in there. Will dr try meds? Verapamil? Magnesium Glycinate? B2 riboflavin?

-Leah

• Posted

The Dr has put me on sumatriptan but according to different sites I've been on I've read that treating HM twith any form of 'triptan' is considered to do more harm than good but when I asked the Dr I was told this is the correct medication. I'm so confused!

• Posted

Hi,

I too, read about not using triptans for HM. HM carries a greater stroke risk than other migraine aypes, I'm told.

Can you get another opinion? Also I believe you mentioned your mom has HM? Since HM can run in families it's worth having a check up on the heart. Apparently a small opening can easily be closed in the heart, and helps HM. Painless test. I'm in the states so not sure how tests work outside US.

I feel improvement with my regimen. Keep reading up and researching. Takes time to begin seeing improvement. ...around three months for me. Hardly have an issue now and when I do it's short lived.

😎

• Posted

My mum has migraines but she said she's never been diagnosed with HM, but hers do impact on her movement and speech so it's possible it could be HM?

?I'm hoping to get more information from the neuro appointment I have next week. As for the heart, we do have heart problems on my mum's side of the family, theres high blood pressure and my uncle had a quad heart bipass so I'll pass all this on to the neurologist to see if they think theres any need for a cardio assessment. I did have a chest x-ray and they've said my heart looked fine- and I haven't had any high blood pressure it's all been normal.

?

?Glad to hear you don't have many problems with it and that it can be short lived! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.