Silent Reflux After Gallbladder Removal

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had my gallbladder taken out in, and not long after that I began getting silent reflux symptoms. I've never had reflux issues in the past, only a sour burp once in a blue moon. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm not sure if this is common, or just me being an odd duck.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, I have that problem.  My gallbladder came out in May of 2015. Things were fine for two months and then i became very ill with nausea. All gastric tests came back normal except there was reflux and bile. I have tried just about all PPIs and have just started on rabeperazole and am hoping for the best.

What were youir symptoms and have you found an answer/? My diagnosis is atypical reflux. This has been life changing. I am searching for answers any where I can find them.

• Posted

Kim, I know your post was 8 months ago, but maybe you will bee this and respond. I had mine out in May of 2015, was fine for 2 months and then it got bad. No doctor I have seen has called it silent reflux- only atypical reflux, but I have read that at least some doctors recognize it as silent reflux.

This has been a terrible experience and is still going on. I feel sick all the time; no heartburn but a full throat and a nausea that seems to come from the throat.

I have seen 4 gastro doctors from various well known hospitals in the US. PPIs don't work and am taking Welchol and Carafate suspension.

So, my question to you is did you get better? How long were you ill? Anything you could share would help so much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.