silent reflux and shortness of breath

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had silent reflux for a while and originally had no heartburn although I do get it occasionally now, but what most concerns me is increased shortness of breath.  I thought it was due to anxiety but now I think it must be the acid - does anyone else get this. It makes doing everyday tasks quite tiring. I take H2 blocker ranitidine at night with Gaviscon advance as relux bad at night but often nothing in daytime as eating does not seem to cause problems although exertion does.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda I share your pain. I also get the shortness of breath too along with chronic belching. I have written about them in other posts that you may want to look at.
  • Posted

Shortness of breath could be a sign of another problem, you should get a doctor to check you out.

i had a family member who thought he was suffering with heart burn, ignored it and now is no longer with us as it was a heart problem 

• Posted

Hello Linda - I am sorry to hear of your difficulties and can completely empathise.  There are cases where the acid has found its way down the trachea which can cause it to build a protective web to prevent it reaching the lungs - forming a tracheal stenosis.  Whilst this is a very rare condition it does happen and I think I am one of those people - my consultants now think, after 3 years of scratching their heads and after 5 surgeries on my trachea, that my tracheal stenosis is caused by silent reflux.  I don't think shortness of breath is normally associated with reflux but I may be wrong; however I do think you should see your doctor and tell them of this possibility of tracheal stenosis.  My original GP had me down as asthmatic and it wasn't until I moved surgeries that I was diagnosed properly - when the stenosis had reduced my trachea to 20% of the opening it should be and I could barely climb stairs - so don't hesitate to get it checked out.  All the best.
  • Posted

hi, lve read many posts on gastritus acid reflux thread mentioning many symptoms in common, but realised l didnt read any about shortness of breath, which l also get, but do have known chest probs, but def got worse along with nausea and loss of appetite, l do belch a bit also. On exertion either the nausea or breathlessness or both can be quite bad, causing me to bend over with elbows on worktop till it improves, stairs difficult. The gastro enterologist did ask if it affected my breathing, but wasnt sure if it was common affect for others, or just down to my chest probs, as some days worse than others with  asthma type attacks. l know some stomach probs do affect breathing due to being in simular area, as an old lady l know has haitus hernia also coeliac and her breathing bad at times. l can also relate to it making daily jobs much harder, l tend to do l0-l5min at a time.

Will check your posts anastasia as few lve read mention breathing probs along  with stomach, but l,m also referred for chest scan to find out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.