silent reflux causing tracheal stenosis - anyone had this diagnosed?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello - I have just joined this forum to see if I can get some answers for a long term problem. Was diagnosed with a tracheal stenosis 3 years ago and have had 5 surgeries but the medics don't know what is causing it - been tested for auto-immune disease and cancer - but now they are making a connection with silent acid reflux and I am awaiting referral to the gastro medics for possible Barretts. I do get heartburn from time to time and a recent endoscopic test said the top of my oesophagus was inflamed. The main symptom is an apparent overproduction of acid before my evening meal - like I am hungry and my stomach is demanding food, and I seem to oversalivate too. I have had a bout of gingivitis too confined to the left hand side of my mouth. In addition if I get an ENT infection, the stenosis seems to come back quickly - so I have speculated that the link is the virus infection for the stenosis but I am told that it could be the reflux making me more vulnerable to infections. I can't take omeprazole, ranitidine or sucralfate so only take gaviscon advance. I wonder if anyone else has had similar issues which connect the stenosis with reflux and might be able to offer any advice please? Many thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Why can't you take omeprazole?  There are a number of PPI's so chat to your doctor or pharmicst about an alternative. I take Lanzoprozole. Gaviscon doesn't reduce the stomach acid, a PPI does.

I use to have constant throat problems until I started on PPI's.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and interest. Omeprazole causes an allergic reaction and I also react to ranitidine and sucralfate. I understand that Gaviscon doesn't do what a PPI does and, as I can't seem to tolerate any of the PPI's I am doing my best with diet (no caffeine or alcohol etc), raised bed head and gaviscon. This does help but clearly not enough.
  • Posted

Have you spoken to a pharmacist? if not that is where I would go. Not all PPI are the same and you can explain the alLergic reaction you get and they can advise if there is an alternative. They train for 5 years so know more about drugs than anyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.