Silent Reflux (LPR)

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had mucus at the back of my throat for some time (probably years) and thought it was sinus problems (which I also have). However, this has got worse over the past few weeks - a horrible lump which I can't shift. I'm constantly clearing my throat and my throat is very uncomfortable, down to my bronchial tubes - a burning feeling. My voice is a little hoarse. I went to the doctor as I thought I was getting a chest infection and was surprised to be told that it was Silent Reflux. He's prescribed me ten days supply of Domperidone 10mg and also a month's supply of Lansoprazole 30mg - one a day - which I've just begun. I'm also going for a chest x-ray today. He's only given me this one prescription, but, is this going to be enough? Do I ask for the Lansoprazole to be put onto my repeat prescription?

Also, I sing in a choir. At the moment, my throat feels too sore to sing, but would I be doing my vocal chords harm by singing in the future, hopefully when I'm feeling better?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How does the "mucus at the back of your throat" feels like?
  • Posted

It feels as though there is a lump at the very back, but it's the sensation of a lump, which, no matter how much I swallow and clear my throat, doesn't move. Do you have the same?
  • Posted

I thought that the mucus on the back of the throat feels like very sticky saliva rather than a lump sensation. I think the lump sensation you get is from your larynx being irritated. My MOM is ENT and she explained this thing to me. Because the lining, for lack of better word, on the back of your throat is so compromised by the constant irritant, acid, it loses its elasticity and ability to function the way it should.
  • Posted

Hi. Rosiebags, how did you get in with this medication as it is exactly what I have been given. However I am running out and I have heard it is not good to be on the ppi for too long. I have noticed some improvements but I have also completely changed my diet so it is hard to tell what is or isn't working. Have you had any more tests or medication since?
  • Posted

After seeing the ENT consultant, I was on Lansoprazole for four months. I then asked to come off it, as that seemed long enough. There had been some improvement in my reflux, but it still wasn't completely under control. I went on to Ranitidine (Zantac), which I took for a month along with Gaviscon. This was OK, but I was still coughing after meals etc. It had been suggested a few times that I may have a hiatal hernia, so I asked for an endoscopy so that I could have a definite diagnosis. So, now I'm not taking any medication at all as I'm waiting for my endoscopy appointment. I'm coping by drinking a lot of water and chewing gum after every meal, which helps. I, too, have changed my diet. Hope things continue to improve for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.