Silent Reflux/ LPR

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with this condition over 4 years ago ( I’m now 51 yrs old) and have tried a range of treatments to ease the symptoms from prescribed medication to herbal remedies. The closest one which worked was taking Gaviscon Advance for 10 weeks solid, after each meal and at bedtime and sleeping with a wedge pillow on my left side. When I say ‘worked’ I mean I felt some relief. However the globus sesation would always come back followed by the post nasal drip. 

I struggled for a long time, to accept that this was with me for life and I knew that I had to come to terms with it. Then last winter I caught the Norovirus which made my reflux come back with a vengeance and no amount of Gaviscon helped. I was at my wits end. 

For or a long time I’ve been interested in the healing effects of kefir (probiotic drink) and even tried to make my own milk version with kefir grains. This wasn’t successful so I gave up. Then I read about water kefir and thought I’d try my hand at that. I was surprised at how easy it was to make and I’ve had a lot of fun trying out different flavours. But the most amazing thing is it’s had a significant impact on my reflux! I eat normally ( previously would have to avoid spicy or dairy-heavy meals), drink coffee and wine with hardly any problems. I drink about 200ml of water kefir a day ( 100ml each after lunch and evening meal) and it doesn’t feel like I’m taking medicine despite it having a real medicinal effect. I can genuinely say it’s improved my condition by 80% and that I am overjoyed with the result. The great thing about taking water kefir is that it’s natural and inexpensive. It boosts your immune system as well as aiding digestion. It would be really good to hea4 from anyone else tha5 has tried this.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

That is very interesting results and great that is working for you!

I’ve suffer from LPR for 3 years and tried many different things to minimize or eliminate the symptoms.

What symptoms you had prior to food g water kefir?

Also, were you tested for reflux? Like Upper GI endoscopy, manometry, PH test, etc.

Curious to see what the results were and see if they were any similar to mine.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

• Posted

Hi

Great to hear a success story, where would a person be able to buy water kefir, I'd try anything at this stage, suffering daily for past two years

• Posted

Hi,

You can buy water kefir grains over the internet; if you just type it into google you’ll get lots of results. I actually bought mine on EBay and the person I bought it from sent instructions of how to ferment them and flavouringsuggestions. Give it a go; it’s easier than you think, very palatable and hopefully could work for you too. Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Etha,

Thank you for your help, I will google it and give it a try, anything is better

that these horrible symptoms

Kate

• Posted

Thank you for your post.

what other symptoms would you get with your reflux? i get the sore throat, sinus problems and that awful thick phlegm!its awful! im so happy that you are feeling much better, you must feel so much more relaxed?i think i make my symptoms worse due to me worrying about this condition all the time! its like a vicious circle!

i take the meds perscribed by my doctor as well as the gaviscon, and i have also purchased some alkiline drops which do seem to help sometimes. where can i get this water from?i will try and order some today.

Many Thanks

Hayleigh 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.