Silent reflux, throat clearing , hoarseness HELP

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi all

I am starting another new thread in the hope someone has the exact same symtoms and can offer any hope. 

My symtoms are constant throat clearing throughout the day and sometimes feel a very slight hoarseness / slightly sore throat and sometimes spirtting white bubbles and the feeling of clogged throat. I've tested positive for high pepsin levels and am using alkaline water , and cutting out certain foods but it doesn't seem to work..im taking lanzaprozile and also gaviscon but symtoms remain :-( ...I'm ok in bed at night but it's the rest of the day ..many on this discusion tend to talk about normal reflux instead of LPR , silent reflux  any advise on this subject welcome...I'm off back to the docs again when I get back of my hols...

I'm constantly thinking about it all day and worried to which isn't helping 

look forward to your replies Pete

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Pete,

I do not know if in this forum you can read my posts. I have a hiatal hernia but before I had pain in my stomach, but it went away, NOw I have gone thru a very stressful situation with family, and I do not know if this has made it worse, that now I feel it in my throat. I also have noticed that when I went on my vacation, I just came back, i was feeling better, the throat symptom i didnot feel it that much, and in the evenings I did not feel it at all, BUT coming back, I have them again and most of the day, I am also thinking more about it and the more symptoms, the more stressed. KEEP IN TOUCH/

HUGS i will write more later.

• Posted

Dear Pete

Has your condition improved?  As soon as I put my bed on 6 inch blocks at the top and got rid of the extra pillows things began to improve.  I never eat or sdrink after 7pm = 19.00 hours or at least 3 hours+ after eating..I stay up and read or watcch TV if necessary.  I also take a spoonful of honey LAST thing at night which reduces stomach acidity.  Morning I have two glasses of warm water with a teaspoon of lemon juice = 100% alkaline before i do anything.  I have fruit BEFORE any meal and wait 30+ minutes to eat..small amount or a handful of grapes for example.  I eat more meals more often but SMALL MEALS is critical to educate your stomach...Food Combining also Helps!!  I have cut out beer which is highly acidic and all acidi based drinks...fruit juices etc etc..caffeine is also a cause....hope this helps...Granville UK

• Posted

Hi i have had this for 4 years, but since last year, i stopped smoking for 11 days then started again and ever since it's been 100% worse. I think stopping smoking atfer 40 years is a big mistake.

My throat sometimes almost makes me have a panic attack. But i can have no problems for 10 plus days then it will just start again, it's like i had something to eat that sets it off. I stopped eating cheese which helped loads. I have stopped eating loads of things list is to big to add here.

But i think if it was from smoking i would have it all the time, even had camera and they can't see anything wrong. i have had omeprazole 20Mg one a day which when i first took them worked great for 9 days then it started again, so not sure if they helped or it just never played up at that time.

• Posted

Hi Pete  Just seen your thread from a year ago and I am suffering with exactly the same symptoms as yourself.  I also have no problem in bed at night.  I have been prescribed the same medication, changed my diet and seen a consultant and he diagnosed Silent Reflux.  I find chewing gum helps but I have got the point where I try not to eat at all or eat very little. I have also had a barium swallow test.  I am going on holiday and will be seeing the consultant again after my hols.  Can I ask you, a year on, how are you with this now.  Did you have a Fundoplication Operation or do they have other medications that can help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.