Silicone ear tips cause fullness, do I have ETD?

Posted , 2 users are following.

A few months ago I had constant ear discomfort that grew progressively worse, and I had a fullness in the ear feeling in my left ear. It was also in my right ear, but to a much lesser extent. I had been using Debrox earwax removal regularly as I also had excessive earwax buildup.

The only way I could get rid of the fullness was to use an ear syringe and squeeze it (blow air) really hard into my ear.

I went to see my general physician, who then "cleaned" my ears by squirting a bunch of water in at high velocity repeatedly. He said there were dead skin cells at the back of my ear. Indeed this fixed my issue - but only for a few weeks. He also instructed me to continue using the Debrox.

I've gotten the issue back now, and I've noticed something else. I wear in-ear headphones with silicone tips. In my left ear, if I push it all the way in, it becomes very muffled and the ear feels "full", like there's no airflow and therefore I can't hear or like something inside my ear is blocking the sound. However, if I pull the earbud out a little bit, to where the silicone tip doesn't create a seal with my ear, the sound suddenly becomes clear.

Also, while I am pulling the earbud out, I hear this "sucking" type sound. I don't know how to describe it, but it's like air trying to get in until the seal finally breaks and my ear hole has a gap allowing air to enter from outside. thThe most similar sound I can think of is a loud kiss with suction. It's almost like the earbud is resisting my pull, like a vacuum has been created inside my ear.

This is not an issue at all in my right ear.

Also, blowing air with an ear syringe does still help a lot. If I suck air (let it expand in my ear), this has the opposite effect and makes my ear feel very full.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Maybe a loud kiss isn't the best description, it's a little "softer" than that, like a muffled version.

• Posted

To add, while pulling the earbud out it's a little painful, feels like something is "tugging" at my ear's insides, which I assume is just pressure.

• Posted

I would say do not use the silicone ear tips and give your ears a REST , do not use too many things or get the inside of them wet , wait for the blocked feeling / discomfort to go away on it's own as it can take a long while but if you mess with your ears or are not GENTLE with them you could make things worse

You could try gently using the Otovent device which you can buy on Amazon but only use it gently and just about 2 times a day but be careful as it can make you a bit dizzy and it has to be used gently , over time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.