Silva and restasis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was started on restasis for keratoconjunctivitis infection d/to chronic dry eye. Shortly after (2-3 months) I began noticing my saliva was reducing to nothing. Started seeing RA.M.D. Question, it really helped my eyes but my sinuses are open all the time now and I now have saliva (most of the time). Can it be the restasis? Also, this past year my hands went from 50 yr old hands to 90 yr old hands. Skin is all dry but fingers tips are like sandpaper. Anyone else have this issue? I put lotion on 10 Xs a day at least.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary,

how many any times a day are you using the eye drops? And are you covering your tear ducts for two minutes after you put them in? I have been using these drops once a day at night time for over a year now, and have no problems other than the occasional stinging.

regards,

Mandy

• Posted

I wasnt complaining. I'm thrilled but was curios if restasis could actually help with dry mouth or was I misdiagnosed? I use it 2Xs a day.

Did wonder if anyone else gets symptoms one at a time like I am. Now it's my skin is dry but more noticeably my hands. They are all wrinkled up and sooo dry and finger tips feel like sandpaper. Lotion just soaks in and 30 min. later dry again.

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I'm 49 years old and am expiencing similar symptoms. After sinus surgery in June, I went completely dry. I was on antibiotics and pencillian when this happened. Its been about a month and a 1/2 where I started to have saliva back. My sinus have improved and I do not need saliva producing meds as before. I can go days without. I saw my Rheumotologist recently and discussed this improvement. He initially thought it was Scleroderma with SS. I have dry patch almost smooth leather like skin certain areas of my hands. He doesn't believe I have the prior disorders which Im happy about. I don't know if meds trigger symptoms. I believe they do. What works for me is rubbing organic coconut oil on them during the day and at night I cut a portion of aloe plant( you can get in the market) and rub it on the affected areas. This is before going to bed so that im sure i won't get my hands wet. If they are itchy. Rub a garlic clove over the area before going to bed so that it penetrates the skin. Thats just me. I rather try natural before I turn to chemical. If it doesn't work, I would see your rheumy. Give it time though unless it becomes unbareable..

• Posted

hiya,

I don't think restasis is a saliva producing medicine. I believe its only meant for tear production. I too, get symptoms one at a time and they just come from out of nowhere. It started with joint pain after I started taking placqunil. I got the wrinkly raisins fingers and they weren't even under water, hives, now I'm suffering from Raynauds which is white fingertips that are kinda of painful. Luckily its one thing at a time that causes me worries. I'm pretty new too this myself and feel hypersensitive to my symptoms. Hope you feel better.

Best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.