Simple liver cysts

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi just needing a bit of advice I have a lot of cysts on my liver doctor thinks they are simple cysts but I have 2 which are very large over 10cm and u can feel them now as before u couldn't I am getting abdominal pain it also feels like theres no room left on my right side got admitted to hospital for 2 nights for more tests just wondering if anyone's had them removed and any advice would be great as I am so worried

P.s. when having test they also found kidney stones on my right kidney as well

Regards alison x

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Copied fromm the British liver Trust.

Simple Liver Cysts

'Simple cysts arise from a malformation of your bile ducts. In rare cases, they can cause bile duct obstruction, secondary infection or may rupture. Some may require surgical drainage.

Simple cysts are not inherited and unrelated to polycystic liver disease in which many more cysts are present. They are estimated to affect between 1% and 2.5% of the population. They affect all ages, but occur more frequently in the population as age increases.

Simple cysts usually have no symptoms. Larger cysts may occasionally cause some dull pain and/ or swelling in the upper right hand side of your abdomen, an area referred to as the ‘right upper quadrant’. Jaundice (yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes), which is often caused by bile duct obstruction, is rare.

To diagnose simple liver cysts medical staff may record your medical history and carry out a physical examination. An ultrasound or CT scan of your abdomen may also be carried out. Simple liver cysts generally do not require treatment unless they become large enough to cause pain.

If required, to reduce their size, doctors can remove the fluid from the cyst. They do this by inserting a needle through the skin under X-ray guidance, and withdrawing (aspirating) the fluid. However, the fluid will usually refill the cyst. To help stop this, after the fluid has been taken out, doctors may inject a substance into the cyst to help stick the walls together. This substance is called a sclerosant. A similar technique involves removing part of the wall of the cyst, called laparoscopic de-roofing.'

Kidney stones in people later in life (40+) are quite common. When I had an ultrasound they found some. But as they are small and not causing a problem, they are just left alone.

• Posted

Thanks for ur reply I am seeing surgeon on thursday so should know what they have decided hopefully removal as drainage they just fill up again

Alison x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.