Simple Partial Seizures?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a 36 year old man with no official medical history of epilepsy (some detail about a couple of incidents from my childhood later on*), but have experience a couple of strange episodes in the last few days which on further research I suspect might be Simple Partial Seizures (Temporal Lobe Seizures?).

3 days ago, I was on a call with a colleague at work and all of a sudden I got a feeling of being very hot and anxious, almost like a panic attack (something which I have experienced from time to time in the past), but with a much more pronounced feeling of dread or fear. It also felt a little like I was remembering something from a dream, but I couldn't quite put my finger on the details. It lasted about 30 seconds and then subsided and I felt fine afterwards, despite being a big confused and concerned about what had happened.

I've had the feeling of remembering something from a dream before which was similar, but nowhere near as extreme and didn't result in the same rising feeling of anxiety/fear/dread. I just chalked this episode up to perhaps being tired and/or stressed and perhaps that it was just a panic attack and I would keep an eye on things in case these were starting to happen to me again.

Then, the next morning I had a very similar experience shortly after getting out of bed, I had very strong feelings of what I can only describe as almost remembering the details of a dream, along with the same rising feelings of heat, anxiety and deep dread/fear. It also felt like I was somewhat in control of the feelings, like I could decide to ignore them and let them recede, or press further and "remember" more if I wanted to, but this came with increased feelings of anxiety and fear, as well as a sense that if I "pushed" too hard, the feelings might no longer be within my control. Again, it was all over in well under a minute and I felt fine for the rest of the day and since, except being a little concerned about it happening again of course.

Since then, I've not had another episode like this, but I'm obviously concerned and after some googling around, it sounds like perhaps these were simple partial seizures of some kind, as a lot of the symptoms I've seen described look to be quite similar. I've tried to describe the exact nature of the experience above as best I can, but it's a very difficult feeling to explain without it sounding pretty bizarre! I've spoken to the colleague who I was on the call with during the first episode and they've confirmed that they didn't notice anything unusual about my behaviour at all, so that's encouraging I suppose.

I'm just wondering what other people who might have experienced something similar think and whether my experience lines up with others who've gone on to have more episodes like this, or a formal diagnosis of some kind of medical issue which could be causing this? I'll definitely make an appointment with my GP if it happens again, but for now it's just been those two instances over the last few days.

*For a little additional background if it's helpful, I had two episodes of losing consciousness when I was a teenager, once when I ate something very hot and it got stuck in my throat and another when I ran to a friend's house and then drank a whole can of coke very quickly. In both cases, I just seemed to faint and was conscious again in less than a minute. After these incidents I sought medical advice and they did an EEG (I think) as they wanted to rule out some kind of seizure, which they did.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.