Simple Question Regarding Physical Exam and Fasting

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello and thank you in advance for anyone who reads this,

I recently moved to a new place for work and had a physical exam this morning. I was nervous to start my job and like an idiot, I didn't look carefully enough at the instructions and had a light breakfast (a piece of bread and ramen noodles) before heading out the door. I got bloodwork, and afterwards realized what I'd done, and now am afraid that the results will be invalidated. They will probably measure sugar and cholesterol. My question is: how far off will the exam results be? Will I have to get another one? I really don't want to delay starting my job waiting for the results of this exam + scheduling another one + getting the results again, not to mention explaining to my work the reason. Any help would be appreciated. I'm generally pretty healthy with everything in normal range and a normal weight for my age range (30's).

TLDR; ate breakfast before a blood draw. I know that the results for this test may not be accurate, I just don't want them to be invalidated. Will I be ok?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

When you eat, your blood glucose level rises, along with your cholesterol and triglycerides. This is normal, but it is not normal if you should have been fasting and would be a sign of abnormality (which is why they ask you to fast, to look for such an abnormality). If you don't fast, they won't have the information they need. They may ask you to do the blood test a second time or just accept it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.