Simple Robotic Prostatectomy (1-Year Update)

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello, Everyone:

Well, next week will be 1-year since my Simple Robotic Prostatectomy (SRP) procedure was performed. SRP is when robotics are used through the abdomen to shell out the prostate like an avocado (removal of mass). Access to the prostate is through the bladder. Bladder neck, sphincters, urethra, and nerve bundles are preserved. The prostate lobes are still intact. My situation was enlargement, not cancer.

I just had my 1-year follow up with the doctor yesterday and everything is great. He asked me how is it going and I responded that the garden hose he promised (and delivered) is still there and working wonderfully. Collectively I shared with him the following:

1. No retro ejaculation.
  2. Erections are good.
  3. No incontinence.
  4. No urgency.
  5. If I get up at all during the night, it is once and done (most nights I sleep through the night).
  6. I void in a matter of seconds with great force.
  7. I drink whatever I want, whenever I want.

My wife and I still talk about the terrible summer I had last summer leading up to this procedure, but only as a reference point to how much better life is now. As always, I hope you are able to find your solution to your problem. If interested in more info, private message me and I would be glad to share.

Dave

3 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

I'm glad to hear that there's another procedure for BPH that doesn't start with TU__ .I'm a jealous of your outcome, given my own result. Thanks for sharing.

Glenn

(One good piece of news. I heard that the doctor who did my disastrous Greenlight procedure in 2016 has retired.)

• Posted

Glad to hear you are doing well.

But.....it sounds like they cut a hole in your bladder in order to access the prostate. What was the recovery like? How long did you have to use a catheter?

• Posted

Hello, rdemyan:

The procedure fillets the bladder and lays it open for the prostate access. After mass removal, it is then sewn up. The bladder does not have pain receptors.

The recovery was good. I was on catheter for 10-days to allow the bladder to heal. Plus, this helped with the flushing. I was released from the hospital 24-hours after the procedure.

As for pain, my mid-section was sore. I never had to take anything stronger than Tylenol and Motrin to manage pain. You start seeing improvements at about Day #4. After that, it is better each day.

On Day #10 the catheter was removed. I did a flow test at Dr's office and all was well. My wife and I went to lunch afterwards. By the time we got ready to leave the restaurant, it had been about 3-hours. My wife went to the restroom so I thought I would try (not knowing what to expect). Went into the stall, pulled it out, took my aim, and initially overshot the toilet before I adjusted my aim and got control of my garden hose. Totally surprised me with volume and force. Been that way ever since.

Dave

• Posted

did you have bladder spasms ?

this sounds more brutal than TURP ...

• Posted

Hello, Kenneth:

I did not have any bladder spasms during recovery. As for a brutality comparison, I have no firsthand experience with TURP.

Dave

• Posted

Does the procedure destroy the section of the urethra that goes through the prostate, which TURP, HOLEP, Greenlight, etc. do? Or is the urethra spared and the "shelling out" occurs around the urethra.

• Posted

Hello, rdemyan:

Yes, with the SRP procedure, the bladder neck, sphincters, urethra, and nerve bundles are all preserved, or spared. Great question and something I feel all men should ask about regardless of the treatment they are considering.

I am going to send you a private message that will explain a little more about what I had done, along with a picture of how skillful my doctor was at sparing the urethra.

Dave

• Posted

Happy for you Dave!

I thought you reported that you were experiencing RE , has that changed or did I get that wrong?

• Posted

Hello, Bobcats:

The first time I had sex after the catheter was removed, there was some retro, but then it went away.

Dave

• Posted

Dave, my 7/2019 CT scan at JHopkins shows a 7.0 x 8.0 cm prostate; suggested SP;

DREs r normal;

69yrs old - Louisiana

Two bouts w bladder stones n 1 ER with foley catheter;

Who was youe surgeon n where?

Mike

Appreciate any feedback n comments

• Posted

I am envious and wish I had gone with top surgeon at one of the major clinics........side effects are known and you have none........I had HDR Brachy at UCLA 3/18 T2a no mo 3+4=7

Pain on urination, urgency , up 3 to 5 times a night blood now in urine with clots ,

rare atypical Ureth. cells and in fear of bladder cancer .........had no idea of side effects......was interested in what killed PC ........spend half the time I have searching for answers for radiation /humria cystitis ....had CT pet scan and rigid cystoscopy nothing found except pain for 3 weeks following doctors all run and say wait 6 months and do another cystoscopy mean time I am urinating blood and blood clots that if a clot blocks it goes to sepis and ER .....yes I wish I had surgery at top clinic

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.