Simple Robotic Prostatectomy

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I am 61 years old and can probably safely assume I have had BPH for at least the last 20 years. However, not any more. About 10-weeks ago I underwent a Simple Robotic Prostatectomy and wish I had done it years ago.

For at least the last 10 years I was told I had a large prostate. Never paid much attention to it because sex was good, peed okay, and nothing much else caused me any concern. My PSA was always high, and my urologist at that time (9-10 yrs ago) always wanted to do a biopsy. Under his care I had two done and each time there was nothing. I finally got tired of having my prostate treated like a pin cushion and stopped seeing the urologist all together.

More back story: While I could pee, I also fought having a bashful bladder. Walking up to the urinal meant taking a deep breath, relaxing, and then letting my pee go. Kind of minimal pushing and a light splash in the water (weak stream). If I had to stand next to another guy, or have a bathroom that was real quiet with other people, I struggled to get started, but once started, no problem. Over the years this got more pronounced, but manageable. Just chocked it up to a large prostate and bashful bladder.

Well this last year I started going through some real urinary retention issues. To make this long story short, I had multiple ER visits, numerous catheters, void tests, attempts to self-catheter (terrible experience), and three different urologists. One urologist did an rectum ultrasound and measured my prostate at 343 grams. Another one did a MRI and measured it at 265 grams. No matter how you look at it, my prostate was on the Top 10 list for being enormous. How I was peeing at all is a mystery to me, but I was until all the urinary retention problems quickly reared their ugly heads.

Finally I got the right urologist and he told me all other approaches for my problem was off the table. No other operative steps, no medications (which I have never taken any, including today), etc. My only option, if I wanted to pee and not live life with a catheter, was to undergo a Simple Robotic Prostatectomy. My urologist said he could make me a garden hose. He said he could hollow out my prostate capsules like an avocado and spare my nerve bundles. All good news to me and I said let's do it because I was hating life on a catheter.

I am now 10-weeks post-op. Had to use a catheter for 2-weeks after the surgery (healing process). At 2-weeks the doctor removed the catheter and performed a small void test-no problem. The real aha moment came 3-hours later after my wife and I finished lunch at a restaurant. I had to pee for the first time. I went into the stall, and no sooner did I pull it out, I was peeing like a race horse. It actually surprised me at how much volume came out so quickly. Doctor was right, I had a garden hose. I walked out of the bathroom with a smile on my face. I could not tell you when I ever peed that well before. No more bashful bladder and no more relaxing and just letting my pee flow out. I am pushing and forcing pee out at record speed and volume. The pushing took my bashfulness away. When I go pee now, I hit the water on purpose because I can make the loudest splashing sound in the bathroom, and I finish faster than anyone else.

I just wanted to share and I am more than willing to share more, if interested, at how I have had no erection problems (sex right after the catheter was removed), my orgasms are good, and prostate fluid still passes, but just a little differently. My life is great now and getting better each day that I continue to heal. I never wish a catheter on any man. If a Simple Robotic Prostatectomy is your only option, all I can say is that it worked great for me.

Dave

P.S. Pathology report on my hollowed out prostate mass was benign. I am very lucky and feel fortunate. My only problem was a prostate that insisted on growing to an enormous size and causing me urinary retention. I have a picture of it removed if you want to see it.

0 likes, 110 replies

110 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

just wondering if SRP will give retrograde ejaculation which is not related to the NVB.

• Posted

hi Dave. great story. i just had the same procedure a few days ago and am wearing a very large catheter and your story is very encouraging. i have a odd question that i will also ask my dr on monday as its friday now. did you experience any partial erections while sleeping while still wearing catheter? as i am am very concerned what might happen while wearing catheter. as to your story with results are exactly what my dr assured as well.

i was in shock that i awoke while sleeping with a partial erection and freaked out not wanting it to increase. crazy question to ask but this is the last thing i expected as my big concern was ever being able yo achieve that after the surgery. certainly not while wearing a catheter.

catheter so large that its frightening to even look at. my girlfriend says its criminal lol.

by the way im 58 years old . thanks for any input and happy for you and your positive results

• Posted

Hi Ronald - Yes, I had erections with the catheter still in after the procedure. Matter of fact, I considered it a plus after the procedure. If your procedure was like mine, just the inside of the prostate was removed, leaving the shell. That huge mass putting pressure on the urethra is now gone. The catheter is not going to bother anything. It is just there until the bladder heals. I had to wait 10 days. Here I am years later still getting erections and peeing freely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.