Simple Treatment for Blepharitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had blepharitis for two years.  One of the first things I learned was to "clean my eyes daily".  It took me a whole year to figure out what this actually meant.  After many attempts to treat/clean (honey drops, different medical solutions/ointments, baby shampoo, medicated soap, tea tree oil, etc.) I finally got a big supply of Q-Tips and distilled water.  It was a miracle. In the morning, on a daily basis, I take four Q-Tips (this gives me eight passes over my eyes) and get them wet in the distilled water. Then I pass them with a slight pressure over the eyelids, between the eyelids where they touch when closed, at the corner of the eyelids, and all surfaces of the exterior eyelid.  I believe that I am cleaning away the bacteria that normally would invade my eyes and cause burning, watery/dry eyes, gritty feeling, etc. There are many ways that one might "clean" their eyes, but I have found that this works for me.  I don't need any other medication or treatment. Maybe you have the same sort of blepharitis that I have and maybe this simple method will work for you.  All the best of luck in dealing with this very troublesome affliction.  Thanks.  Duke  

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Interesting reading Duke, I too solved my blepharitis problem with a daily wash all around the eyelid and eyelash area, not with distilled water but with a coal tar based shampoo.  I combine this with the rest of my morning shower and this regime has worked for me for years now.
  • Posted

Glad you have found a treatment for yourself in order to 'clean your eyes' properly. I suffered from blepharitis really badly for a few months around 5 years ago but thankfully no longer experience that painful gritty sensation in my eyes. However, sadly, I still lose many eyelashes following this terrible bout of blepharitis. I was wondering if or how your treatment has affected your eyelashes? I would love to find something which prevents them from falling out!

Thanks

Kat

• Posted

Hi Katbat,

I had a stye about a year ago and I did lose one or two eyelashes.  As you probably know people with blepharitis are prone to get cysts and styes.  My eye doc told me that keeping eyelashes clean was very important in preventing styes.  He said the staph bacteria can do damage to eyelashes.  I have also read about mites being an issue.  Anyway, here is a good link to how blepharitis and eyelashes are related.  Again, I am big on cleaning your lashes as a preventative for all sorts of problems.  Thanks and good luck, Duke.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hey Duke! I hope you get to see this message. Is this simple treatment still working for you?

Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.