Simply Food Poisoning?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My girlfriend has suddenly become rather ill. We're in the Canary Islands and on our first full day she's suddenly come down with these symptoms leading onto each other

(Note: I've eaten with her from the same places and practically the same food. I've had a couple of moments that indicated there might be a storm on the horizon, but it hasn't turned into anything as yet, yet being 11 hours after she became ill):

feeling uneasy

stomach quickly turning really intense and staying frequent

diarrheoa (light coloured) x2

being sick x2

sudden tiredness

full body sweating (mainly whilst in the toilet)

Now she's had gastroenteritis before where she experienced the same intense cramps and rather considerable blood in her vomit. The doctor wasn't at all overly concerned with the blood and simply said it will go away in x amount of days. It took considerably longer. I don't think she's the healthiest of girls, internally. Although her lifestyle is moderately healthy.

I've got sneaky suspicions she's got something going on inside a little out of the norm, whether menacing or not so much. Obviously NHS GP's need to save money and will pass a set of symptoms off in the first instance quite gladly as matching a no doubt possible condition, but one that costs the least to rectify, thus aiding their practice and the region's health care trust bottom line. So getting further investigation out of them is indeed like drawing blood from a stone.

However, would you say, even in their intensity that the above symptoms are a fine match for simply food poisoning and that as it stands there's no need to have to find out what an EHIC card really does do abroad? (if you catch my drift)

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

second symptom should read as 'stomach cramps'.

(can't see an edit post option...)

• Posted

Could be food poisoning, those are typical symptoms. Depending on the severity, she could be ill for 2 weeks (and I mean cant get out of bed ill) or just a couple of days. You need a stool test to check what is occuring. If it was brief and she looks as if recovering, then just let the body do its job and fight the bacteria. Quite often gastrointeritus can occur after food poisoning or IBS.

It could be a case of gastrointeritus, she has caught a bug and it will pass.

Or lastly, she has an history of gastro problems, thats just her biological make up im afraid, and the journey, excitement and a something not quite cooked properly has flared up her symptoms.

Youre in the EU, go to the hospital and demand emergency treatment. Spanish seem to be able to do it here in the UK easily enough!

• Posted

'ice cream sarnie'...now that is an interesting thought for a moment!

Yes, I'm going to see how she is in the morning. She's sleeping again now.

We do like a bit of all peoples come on in health care in the UK don't we! Morally, as it's possible some undercooked protein offering from a Spanish establishment that could be the cause, then yes, we should indeed be able to enter those doors and request (politely, and with a little Spanish language) some assistance!

Regarding that running history with stomach and that general region's issues, she also has the strangest period regularity I've seen. She doesn't really know her cycle as she doesn't seem to really have one. As a result I am regularly led to envision what might be occurring in three months short of a year, such is the setup of our contraception arrangement. The last time she was on the pill, it was not suitable for her and increased the stomach issues, rather than aiding it, as the pill indeed does for some ladies. 

Alas! We are fervently hoping that the duration is not to 2 weeks or the like, considering we are on holiday for 11 days at considerable cost! And of course in the first instance, I'm just hoping she's ok quick.

Thanks.

• Posted

Many years ago I was over in Bangkok on holidays I got what they call Bali belly I was put in hospital for couples of days, but spent most of the rest of our holidays in bed, did come good in the end.

Be careful where you eat when traveling.

Alexander.

• Posted

A fact of life I suppose that illness strikes when it feels like it; but how infuriating it is when you become ill on that little time one takes out of the year in order to relax.

I was in Thailand a while back and had an uneasy evening following a visit to a reknowned seafood restaurant, an evening cut short. Thankfully I was back up and in shape the following day after a long sleep.

But yes, Thailand...I know many a traveller with a story to tell regarding food!

• Posted

it sounds very much as if your girl friend has inflammatory bowel disease...conventional medecine won't help at all and would just make things worse the best practioner to see is a naturopath who would give really sound advice about diet and lifestyle. she may have a severe gluten allergy and would benefit from quitting grains and going paleo ...a fine new way of eating check it out by google...you'd be very 'with it' to join her. so glad you're supportive. also check out ThePaleoMom  she has some really good information on her website. thanks for caring. most food these days is made of plastic and pretty inedible...enjoy exploring the alternatives! good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you. Yes we may have a look at this. For a while now I've been advising her to see a doctor for a discussion regarding overall concerns. I think she's slowly coming round to the idea. The inner workings of a woman, causing much discomfort and suffering as part of life, is something a man will never know. But I can sense that there is something here a little deeper than unlucky reproductive and digestive systems.

I do have a book not yet seriously read, which talks in depth of the 3 styles of diet of which 1 will suit us individually. It mentions ancestry and how our dietary needs can and should vary based on our ancestors environments etc. It obviously tempers the claims with modern wisdom as well. Interesting read. So yes, the possibilities of alternative diets are certainly not beyond my interest. I'll have a job on my hands convincing the lady to try however!

• Posted

thats lovely d ...but well you make a start...and yes that sounds like a book on paleo to me..you can enjoy being a caveman and going primitive...great that the nicest things are the simplest!
  • Posted

I hope she is better soon. Sound like the stomach flu or food poisoning.

terribly painful either way. A dr can help make her more comfortable once a diagnosis. Sometimes it's a food aledery or a parasite in the doors. It really better to just ck it out with a professional. 

• Posted

Thanks hope. She seems to be picking up today, which is great news. Just hope she can withstand temptation to start eating complex things!
  • Posted

It's a long time since I was in the Canary Islands. When I was there a lot of people suffered illness like food poisoning. This was caused by drinking the house spirit. My wife drinks Smirnoff vodka. We think she was given the house vodka. Six days ill. When she'd recovered we went out and again I asked for Smirnoff. Watching the barman carefully I felt sure he'd given us house vodka. I informed my wife not to drink it just in case. My brother in law a regular drinker said he would drink it. He didn't survive the night. Was sick on the way back to our hotel and extremely ill for a few days. I met other holiday people with similar stories. Hope this helps. 
    • Posted

Thanks Gallee. That's interesting actually. Whilst we were trying to think of what could be the cause, one of either sea bass or an English breakfast, she did ask whether it could be the house drink she had. Although it was house red, so I don't know whether it could apply to wine. But bad Vodka is something I'm aware of. Many a story of bars selling unhealthy spirits, in England too. 

I was looking at a table that listed the different strands of food poisoning bacteria and how long they take to manifest themselves, and how long to disappear etc. There's so many that it could mean it could be a variety of food we've eaten in recent days.

As it happens today she has woke up feeling more stable. She's been able to move without pain in her stomach. So she's going on a fasting day I think, barring water. Here's hoping it was the strand that lasts a short time. It was indeed very severe yesterday though.

• Posted

how helpful about the spirits...clearly to avoid!

hope you can get to see a doctor on your return. if you see a naturopath first s/he will give you so much helpful advice that when you see your GP or MD they will be impressed that you're taking control of your health and will doubtless be very encouraging...so many are relunctant to try the basics that GP s give up and presrcibe drugs instead, believing thats what patients want. Whereas the first principles in medecine are diet and lifestyle adjustments....  given your explorations your GP/MD will likely appreciate that you may be onto something more long term!  Your Doctor will prob find you very refreshing especially if you have a strategy to run past that you think would work for their endorsement and support!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.