Simponi vs Humira

Posted , 6 users are following.

Anyone been on Simponi for AS? I've been on Humira for about a year and it has not done much for me. They doubt Simponi will provide much relief either, as my disease is about 30 years old. But they are hoping Simponi will do more for my peripheral issues, knees and shoulders. They said TNF blockers are supposed to halt the progression, but did not seem sure about that either.

The little bit I read seems to indicate that Simponi has more side effects than Humira. They were thinking about Cosentyx, but I already have digestive issues. The first few weeks that I took Humira my digestive issues settled down, but the effect did not last. This was the deciding factor for Simponi.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Bill,

I haven't taken Simponi but I have taken Humira and that made my peripheral joints swell worse than just having the AS. I am on Cosentyx now and I still have some peripheral inflammation from the AS but I am definitely more functional. I don't have stomach issues with Cosentyx. I believe Simponi and Humira uses the same pathway to block inflammation and Cosentyx is different. I hope that helps.

• Posted

Thanks Lilly, Cosentyx was their first choice, but they were concerned it would make my Diverticulosis worse.  I would have to buy stock in Immodium. biggrin

Although I might get to that next. I can't take NSAIDs, as my kidneys are unhappy about too many years of Arthrotec. It took them about 30 years to diagnose my A.S..

• Posted

HI Lilly - I was recently dx with AS and my rheumatologist  has prescribed Cosentyx for me. . . .waiting for my TB results to come back. How are you doing on it? I currently cannot walk without a boot and crutches. Right foot inflamed  and and left knee. . . can't bend knee or move foot too much. Any feedback would be appreciated.

• Posted

Hi Lee,

I am not having any noticeable side effects from Cosentyx. However it hasn't rid me of my foot pain and my knees ache a bit but that could just be from the aerobics class and walking with my knees bent to look straight ahead. I am also doing a gluten free diet and trying not to have too many starches but haven't been as good as Bobbi who seems to have conquered AS on this site. I have been on Cosentyx for about 6 months. I haven't been sick or had any GI issues. Have you tried seeing a physical therapist for your foot and knee? I don't think the biologic is the total answer. It is going to be more complex than that. Best to you.

• Posted

Thank you for the info. Sorry it has not helped...impressed you can do aerobics

I hope to get a prescription for PT in am at dr’s. My foot is still inflamed and top is discolored(reddish brown) and still warm😔 And it’s been over a month despite Advil regiment 3x’s/day. How long have you had AS? I’m also doing a similar diet Paleo

• Posted

Sounds like Gout. I've only had it once, but it took over a month to get diagnosed. I went to the ER and they gave me antibiotics, the 3rd time they threw me out. How can you be an ER doctor and not recognize Gout? When my doctor finally realized what it was, he amused himself by touching it, to see how much it hurt. He was actually a decent doctor, I've had a few winners since then. Current GP is a female and really great.

• Posted

The Cosentyx has helped my overall inflammation. I used to be fatigued and tender if anything bumped me. So I still think it is a good thing. My foot would be a little pink where it is tender and inflamed. It sounds like yours is a lot more than that. I guess I would make sure it's not an infection or a reactive arthritis to some virus you may have had within the last couple months before your foot pain started. Even dental work can release bacteria into your blood stream. Does icing your foot and knee help? That helps me sometimes.

• Posted

Hi ive has all of them and no real issues none worked for me but you can only try and see how you react
    • Posted

Thanks emm2, do you have active inflammation? I've never shown any active inflammation and I don't have the gene, but it's not stopping my vertebrae from fusing together. The latest MRI confirmed AS, even though I'm missing the gene. Probably more than one. cheesygrin The Simponi blurb says it helps active A.S., so I guess that's why they are doubtful it will help.

• Posted

I am actually on my second form of Simponi.  I first took the injectable form a few years ago and it didn't do much for me.  My rheumy put me on Simponi Aria recently which is an infusion form of Simponi.  So far, at least, it seems to be more effective.  She believes that the infusion form could be more effective in general than the injectable form.  As always, I hope for the best.

• Posted

Thanks Peter, I think it's plain old Simponi they are approving. It's a once monthly injection to start. I was surprised that the Simponi rep was right in the hospital; I guess there's money in Biologics. rolleyes

• Posted

Was on Enbrel, Simponi, Remicade and Humira. Humira did most good but I developed Melanoma and stopped Humira. Currently on Cosentyx and just completed build up phase. I've had digestive issues and so far no IBD flares. Remicade helped me for a time, then my system needed something différent. Best

• Posted

Bill I would say no. The effect on AS was minimal so wasn't on Simponi very long. Humira did help more than any other biologic with IBD. Believe in medication guide its indicated for IBD. But with discovery of melanoma Dr had me stop Humira. So far, which has only been loading dose of Cosentyx (5 weeks of drug) haven't had any problems. The drug hasn't kicked in for AS relief yet. But 16 weeks is the advertised relief point. My Dr both Rhemy and Gastro Dr both thought worth trying Cosentyx. Best

• Posted

LOL!!  Yeah, I guess there is just a wee bit of money in biologics.  Years ago I saw my wife's insurance explanation of benefits when she had one of her first Remicade treatments for rheumatoid arthritis.  It was in the neighborhood of $10,000 USD.  I asked her if she had been to the emergency room without my knowing it.  Couldn't figure out what else would be so expensive.  Almost lost my teeth when she reminded me it was for the Remicade infusion.

• Posted

Yes the biologics are expensive, my Cosentyx is billed at 3k something.
    • Posted

Lilly how long have you been on cosentyx? How long till you got relief for AS? Any digestive issues? Best
    • Posted

Yeah I'm not paying in USD, so I suspect we get a better rate than you. Although I still wouldn't be paying without insurance.

• Posted

No digestive issues. On Cosentyx since April. I still have flares in my feet but otherwise doing well.
    • Posted

No one could keep this up without insurance. What country are you in?
    • Posted

Thanks for info. Glad working for you. Never had issue with feet. Just sacral joints and back. Best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.