SIMULTANEOUS BILATERAL TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENTS - ANY EXPERIENCE

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I have severe osteo arthritis in both knees and despite not having lost as much weight as the surgeons would like, they are going to replace both knees (hurrah - I can only walk about 200 metres and am in pretty constant pain). I really want them to do both in one operation. They've said no, partly because I can't take General Anaesthetic and it will have to be done under an epidural which they say they can't make effective for long enough. I'm asking them to re-think. Anyone have any knowledge/experience on this topic? Thanks, Ruth

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My next door neighbour recently had both knees replaced - in two separate ops. Prior to the second op we were talking about it and I said I'd rather have had both done together. He made the point that it's ALWAYS considered a very bad idea to do two knees at once. The recovery is supposedly too hard. Probably they wouldn't want to do it even if it weren't for the anesthetic issue? Especially if you're still carrying a little bit too much weight?

This is only based upon what my neigbour told me though. I think he had looked into it in detail though. 

• Posted

Hi Ruth. I have had one operation in Aug last year and the other in Feb this year. The pain is severe after each operation (note the use of the present tense). Don’t worry too much about your weight before the operation- you will lose a lot after). In hindsight, I would have preferred to have both done together but I can see why they didn’t.  Can I suggest you concentrate on one at a time and aim to get as mobile as quickly as possible. I am now into my 3rd week after the second operation but can walk unaided. Re the epidural. I started out on the 2nd operation with it but ended up going out under a general. I certainly could not have endured both knees being done under an epidural. All the best.
  • Posted

Hi Ruth!

I had mine three and a half months apart. Worked out great! My neighbor had hers at the same time, and hers worked out great, too. Phyllis, my neighbor, and I BOTH said that regardless of how many you have done at a time, the operations take plenty of recovery time. Neither Phyllis or I had much pain after surgery. This probably was because we both were in EXCRUTIATING pain PRIOR to surgery!😩😬😲

Having my knees done was the single best thing I have done for my health and well-being. I danced at our son's wedding last year, and playing with our granddaughter is LOTS of fun without the KNEE PAIN!

Wishing you the best in whatever decision you make!🤗

• Posted

Hi Ruth. I have had a total knee replacement done. I was 55 at the time and about 120 kilos. I wasn't told to lose weight. I have always been a big person. My op wasn't a real success. I still have swelling, stiffness and pain with restricted bendage. The op was August 2009. I was scheduled to have my other knee done in August 2015. Luckily/unlucky for me, depends how you look on it, I got septic arthritis the day before my op.So op was put on hold. IT took me quite a while to get over the septicemia. Since then I have had stem cell treatment in my knee. I would recommend it to everyone. I now have 80 % less pain. length of pain and severity of pain. I never have had trouble with lack of stability. I still have good bendage.  You must remember that what works for some doesn't necessarily work for all. Good luck. Please,do try to, do the recovery exercises. Hydro is a great exercise when you get the all clear for the pool.  Cheers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.