SIMVASTATIN HELL ?

Posted , 50 users are following.

I have been taking Simvastatin for over two years. During this time I have got progressively worse. Started with tingling and pins and needles in hands and fingers, sore sole of the feet and a little bit of joint stiffness, lumpy legs, severe lethargy, tireness and irritability.

NOW I have muscle wastage of the shoulder muscle, severe joint pain in spine, chest, hips, wrists and fingers. I have lost the grip and strength in my left hand, finding it difficult and clumsy to use. My sight is progressively getting worse, I feel as if I,m looking through a slight fog. My memory loss was becoming a real problem. Diarrohea, chronic muscle spasms - I was beginning to think I was going to die.

I have only just been made aware that the cause could be Simvastin - stopped taking them 5 days ago and I am feeling a little better having good days and bad days.

My concern is that if these problems have been caused by Simvastatin - it looks like they could be irreversable!

7 likes, 185 replies

185 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry to hear of your experience, I think you will get better off the statins.

Your posting helped me understand that my muscle and ligament pain may be side effects for of the  Simvistatin. I don't know what our alternative therapy can be other than fish oil, diet for low cholesterol. I hope you feel better each day.

• Posted

Sorry to be so slow in adding to this.  My mother died a year ago and I'm only now getting back to the emails from around then.  Simvastatin (80 mg) greatly increased my carpal tunnel symptoms (pain and tingling in hands), caused memory problems, balance problems, increased my fasting blood sugar levels by 15% or so, and started giving me unannounced and uncontrollable explosive diarrhea after about 3 years.  I also started developing cataracts.  Not sure about muscle pain since I took aspirin to tone down the carpal tunnel symptoms.  Got a little concerned when I realized I was up to 20-30 aspirin per day and they no longer working well on the carpal tunnel symptoms.  Have met people who developed frozen shoulder symptoms due to simvastatin, as well as people who had severe muscle pain from taking simvastatin.

Other drugs to be careful of include lisinopril and omeprazole.  Lisinopril caused acute pancreatitis in a friend of mine several years ago (I learned they had warned about this possibility since the early 1990s), while omeprazole taken this past January has left her with severe leg and knee pain that continues to this day.

• Posted

I took a statin and ezetroll ,only meds that really brought my cholesterol down under the required level.

For my statin leg pain I eat peanut butter everyday and zero pain result.

Reading over the years I've seen just as much benefits for statins as harm.

For me personally it's done well.I do believe it prevented a heart attack by restricting swelling.

Look after your arteries

• Posted

Chemically I have no idea,I do only take the yellow top(no salt ,sugar variety)

I have googled pain and peanut butter to find out that body builders use it for muscle pain.So ,for 4 years now and no pain for me.

Some countries don't have it ,so I just take it along in my luggage.

• Posted

Wow interesting,are you in the states and are you talking the natural pranutbutter? Thanks.
    • Posted

It's probably the vit B3 in it - known to reduce inflammation.  Add some pineapple and you're onto a winner.  Pineapple contains bromelain, another excellent anti-inflammatory.

• Posted

No ,not in States but I read there's not much difference between between natural and others(sugar free a plus)

I also read Niacin a lot in the peanut butter so there' s another reason,Vit B3

I don't take fit supplements other than Vit C.

• Posted

hi

have same problem

have worn very tight flight socks for a few days continuously

have made a great improvement in the condition

will now  try not wearing them to see if it comes back

• Posted

hi

have same problem

• Posted

hi

have same problem

• Posted

So it is great that you stopped taking your statin! I've been off mine for 2 months. Slowly my brain fog is going away. I have been taking CoQ10 3 times per day to help with that. My muscle pain in both arms though is still pretty bad. I'm hoping and praying it is not permanent damage. Time will tell. Good luck and I hope you continue to heal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.