SIMVASTATIN HELL ?

Posted , 50 users are following.

I have been taking Simvastatin for over two years. During this time I have got progressively worse. Started with tingling and pins and needles in hands and fingers, sore sole of the feet and a little bit of joint stiffness, lumpy legs, severe lethargy, tireness and irritability.

NOW I have muscle wastage of the shoulder muscle, severe joint pain in spine, chest, hips, wrists and fingers. I have lost the grip and strength in my left hand, finding it difficult and clumsy to use. My sight is progressively getting worse, I feel as if I,m looking through a slight fog. My memory loss was becoming a real problem. Diarrohea, chronic muscle spasms - I was beginning to think I was going to die.

I have only just been made aware that the cause could be Simvastin - stopped taking them 5 days ago and I am feeling a little better having good days and bad days.

My concern is that if these problems have been caused by Simvastatin - it looks like they could be irreversable!

7 likes, 185 replies

185 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes your weekend blowout could cause the result to be all over the place (and so unreliable). Gout is historically linked to a little overindulgence. Some Ibuprofen or Diclofenac gel or cream on the affected joint / s should help. Speak to your GP but I'd try what are called lifestyle changes before going on Statins. Yep maybe just a little more (even relatively light) exercise and a reevaluation and change of your diet could be all you need. Also. Working out your body mass index seems to indicate that you are infact overweight smile
  • Posted

Yes it does seem I am over weight according to my BMI. i am defianatley making those life changes now and I’m going to increase my exercse. Don’t really want to take statins if I can help it...What do you think my chances are of having a stroke or a heart attack are at my age 33? and is high cholesterol reversible?

Thanks for you help. smile

Steve

• Posted

Yes of course high cholesterol is reversible, it's not a disease it's just a blood test finding, anyway based on what you've said it'd be fair to wonder if you even have high cholesterol at all :D If you don't smoke, take a little more time each week to exercise (it doesn't have to feel like a punishment) and improve your diet (simply Google 'a healthy diet') your risk of a heart attack or stroke is no higher than anyone else's smile

I should say that not everyone suffers from the Statin side effects but regardless it seems a little over the top (and expensive) to throw you straight on them without trying a more natural approach first :ok:

• Posted

im going to stay off the statins get on a good healthy diet and pump up the exercising....

Thanks for all you advice and help today Dr Spock.

Have a great weekend :ta: 8)

• Posted

hi i have been reading .....TO MY HORROR.... iam 37 years old and was diagnosed with severe HOCM my doc put me on asprin and bisoprolol which seem to work well .. 3 weeks ago i was told i needed simvastatin .... and within this time i have severe pains in my left shoulder legs and calves ...never before have i had these issues ....yesterday my wife came out to the car and told me i had been sat in it for 20mins ..i could'nt tell her why as i could'nt remember . i also have really bad mood swings.. i have an oppointment today to see the doc ..but i can feel my blood boiling not knowing what iam going to say ......am i just over reacting or has this poison got its grubby little paws on my life....
    • Posted

In answer to your last line - YES - I life a healthy lifestyle, good diet, good level of exercise and statins nearly drove me to end it all - they ARE poison and I foolishly believed my medical professional blindly.  I want an alternative!
  • Posted

Have a look at this. It lasts one hour but it is one hour in your life that you will not regret losing. This seems to be the absolute truth about cholesterol and the drugs used to treat it

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vr-c8GeT34

• Posted

hi i have been on simvastatin for 7 years now, my doctor told me i have to change to atorvastatin a month ago which i did and now i am in agony i have severe chest pains and also in both my arms hands and fingers cannot sleep properly went to see him he was addament it was not the statins he sent me directly to hospital for tests they were all perfect blood heart chest it is that bad now i cannot walk 50yards before i get these pains and they stop me dead cannot go on have to just stand there till they ease off . this can take anything up to 15 mins i will not take anymore statins ever they are worse than my heart attack i had i can understand what you people are going through its hell when i told my doctor i was coming off all statins he said we will discuss it when your pains have gone think he will be waiting a long time they do not seem to be getting any easier and its over a month since i stopped taking them i drink 10 glasses of water a day trying to flush my system out only painkillers he gave me were co codydramol they dont even touch it will let you know if flooding my system with water helps bye for now
  • Posted

I have been on 40mg for about 3 years only recently I have had concerns about this drug as my cholesterol is slowly going back up with out change to my lifestyle. Since taking this drug I have had migraine type

headaches aching muscles and my blood pressure has gone through the roof 190/100 I get checked every 6 months so I am trying to stay on top of the situation, but with all the bad publicity on this drug I am going to try natural remedies (milk thistle being one to reduce cholesterol).

• Posted

My husband was on Simvastatin for a few years (we need to check with the doctor as we can't remember exactly how long) and had a heart attack two years ago. He was then put on Atorvastatin 80 and had serious, debilitating pains in his calf muscles. His cardiologist dismissed our theory that this was an effect of the statins, but I found that Atorvastatin was contraindicated with one of his other drugs and the cardiologist suggested he stopped taking the other drug, as he definitely needs to take statins. He did, with no adverse effect, but the calf pain, though slightly reduced, continued. He then spoke to his cardiology nurse and his GP and his dose has now been reduced to Atorvastatin 40 plus Ezetemibe (I have to admit i was worried, as having had a heart attack i wanted him to be on the highest, safest dose possible). He still has calf pain from time to time, but it has reduced, however the most remarkable thing has been the change in his mood - he has reverted to being almost as laid back as he used to be 10 years ago, is much less irritable, has more energy than he's had for a long time and is generally so much nicer to be around! It's amazing, and proof in my eyes that statins a) cause calf pain (his cardiologist was adamant they only affect large muscles such as the quads) and b) cause mood swings and depression. Thank goodness his nurse and GP listened.

• Posted

Hello All,

I have read all posts, comments and shared experiences on this portal so far and my case seems to be a collection and summarized experience of all in just 15 days that i have started using Simvastatin.

For the past 15 days, i have been swallowing the pink coloured U.S.R 20mg statin following my diagnosed high cholesterol after a lipid test was conducted. What led me to the hospital in the first instance was a radiant and persistent pain in the upper part of my chest right above my heart but before this visit, i was diagnosed of having ulcer (of the upper stomach). I also had and ECG test sometimes back when i initially complained about the chest pain and everything came out normal but at my last 3 visit, i was placed on Propananol to control my palpitation (irregular/fast heart beat) and Tramadol to suppress the chest pain.

Few days after taken these drugs, i experienced something that had never happened to me in my entire life before. It was hell and the experience was bad. It was a sequence of multiple this that i cannot explain ranging from light- headedness, PERSISTENT hunger, dizziness and pain to say a few. The hunger was killing as i had to take another meal five minutes or less after the first one...and so through out the day.

I endured and completed the dose and at some point, i felt my good life back but the chest pain resurface in less than few days which now led to the doctor advising a lipid test and it came out that my cholesterol was high. I am still trying to understand the high cholesterol for someone who weighs 65 and very slim?

Like i said earlier, the experience in the past 15 days was HELL and i can only imagine what it would have been consuming statin for 15 years. I feel everything now, heavy heart, pain in my spine, throting or bubbling muscles, pain in both right and left chests, nausea, dizziness and it now seems i forget things easily i just 15days. In fact, my entire body system has changed !!!

I got to this portal why trying to understand what was going on in my body and I can tell you for free that the cause is Statin. or would it have been a coincidence for everyone taking the same drug to have felt or feel the same sensation. The good this for me is that i have found out why i feel what i feel, as not knowing could have raised some other concerns which would have led to other emotional and psychological trauma. A page i visited talked about changing ones diet by consuming less saturated fats rather than taking on these poisons of a drug.

My does finishes today and that's it. I only wished i have seen this site days before!

From Nigeria

• Posted

I feel for all Simvastatin sufferers as i've just been released from hospital after 9 days only to come out as ill as i went in + i'm 100% certain it is down to this horrendous drug.I had no history of heart disease but i was kept in as my bloods were not right so i was perscribed 40mg Simvastatin.Even though i have been out of hospital for 2 weeks now i have barring the odd day felt pretty awful with numerous symptons especially anxiety + diarrhea so thank god for forums like these as i have now binned them + will never ever take these drugs again.I can now only hope my body can recover + be thankful i've only taken these for a few weeks + not years like some of you.I've just come back from a 3 mile run even though my body feels so lethargic as i will not let this beat me + i've also changed my diet as i'd rather be dead than go back on these drugs.Also out of curiosity Amazon has plenty of books on the effects of this drug so worth taking the time for a quick browse as i have just purchased 1 so will be very interesting what the book says.Good luck to all + stay positive as that is the only way to get yourselves back on track.
  • Posted

I have been on Simvastatin for many years as I am diabetic but have noted increasing short term memory loss.  I have now started taking one 100mg capsule of Co enzyme Q10 per day.  I have seen a remarkable recovery in my short term memory and have experienced greater energy levels.  I have been taking the capsules for only 30 days but hope that the improvement will be sustained.  I continue to take Simvastain 
  • Posted

Having just read through some of your posts on this subject of use of statins... I am amazed at the complacency that many of you reveal with regards to your doctors prescribing these drugs for you without question. 

People are still of the opinion that the doctors know best - not necessarily so and it is time that patients reported the side-effects of the statins.  I spoke to a GP recently who said that he had realised that people were not reporting there are problems with statins and he now always asks each patient how they are coping - and has been alarmed at the responses.  Apparently almost half of them have given up taking the drug entirely because of the side-effects and had not told him so. The rest were putting up with the side-effects thinking it was just part of the ageing process  ... NOT SO! 

Isn't it strange that in Canada for example - they are virtually obliged to prescribe coenzyme 10 along with statins in order to help mitigate the side-effects.

What nobody seems to realise is that - you need all your cholesterol particularly as you get older in order to function.  Without cholesterol you would die instantly.

If you would care to go online to   _____  you will find information there which will confirm my statement.  

It is well-known that statins can cause and  do cause peripheral neuropathy - very often irreversible.  There are several thousand cases of neuropathy which  have been reported to Duane Graveline MD MPH who himself was badly affected by the use of statins.  As far back as 2012 the FDA finally warned about peripheral neuropathy as a major adverse reaction to all types of statins.

Furthermore if you care to read the newsletter which is dated June 14 this year from _____   - you will find a fascinating little audio interview with Zoe Harcombe on the subject of statins and cholesterol - and why statins should be banned.   For those of us who are not so medically or technically minded she puts forward the facts in almost laymen terms and I can tell you now that is one of the best radio Europe talks ever delivered.  It lasts about 5 or 10 minutes at most and is worthwhile listening to.

I for one didn't need any convincing, as I have suffered irreversible damage to my nervous system due to statins.  I was only on them for 6 months - but 2 years later and I'm still unable to walk properly....... and in fact have deteriorated over time.  

I have been in the hands of consultant neurologists/rheumatologists and an orthopaedic surgeon who initially were reluctant to go along with my hypothesis that it was the statins that had caused the damage. Happily my orthopaedic surgeon eventually admitted that he had several hundred cases of peripheral neuropathy which he could trace back to the use of statins - and indeed it was he who finally diagnosed my irreversible  non-Parkinsons PPFG

Most consultants agree that medical coincidences are just not on - and my problems started when I was put on simvastatin..... I rest my case..LOL

I wish you all well - and I can predict that in a couple of years time when the scales fall from our GPs eyes and they are no longer at the behest of big Pharma - all will be revealed - and statins will eventually be proved to be the worst thing since thalidomide.  I just hope that we will all live long enough to see this happen.

In the meanwhile big Pharma continues to rake in the money at a most alarming rate as we all fall off our perches....!!!  As one of my doctors remarked - cynically perhaps - the ageing population will soon be wiped out if they continue to prescribe statins...... he may have been jesting, but I suggest that there is a nugget of truth in what he says!

Patient Moderator Note: I have removed an URL (a link) from this reply as it was unsuitable for inclusion within these forums. If any user is interested in this removed information they should contact the author via the Private Messaging system requesting such. Thank you for your cooperation.

patient.info/forums/discuss/private-messages-226361

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.