Simvastatin? I am finished with them.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am a 72 years of age male, and have been on 40mg Simvastatin for about 3 years. for the last year or so I have been concerned as to my general health which seemed to be going down the pan, weakness in my arms difficulty in walking,aching joints, I found myself climbing the stairs in a sideways fashion as my knees would hurt so much. I could not lower myself into the bath I would just fall in, and getting out was difficult also. I was getting to the stage when I thought if this is old age well I have not got much to look forward to . Then I started to hear things being said about the side effects of Simvastatin, so I stopped taking them some 2 months ago, and the improvement in my well being is amazing, When I next see my doctor I will tell him where to put the Simvastatin.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

After reading yous and others comments on this drug, I will will now stop taking it aswell. Only been on it about 2 months but find a massive deterioration in my health, (insomnia, muscle pain and joint pain are the worse).
  • Posted

Hi

found your comments interesting I have been on simstatin for a number of years and have now stopped, I have found that taking high vit C 100 each day instead has helped greatly I find that I have to be careful not to have it with Orange, Blackcurrent seems ok. I now dont take peppers tomatoes grapefruit (only few Potatoes) have started walking again pain free Still got damage caused by Arthiriis though......

• Posted

I have just joined through looking to try and find out more about my condition below is listed some of my symptoms, I WAS on Simvstatin.

1. Nausea: I have seen several doctors about this problem over a long period and the results are as follows, one time I was given a medicine that the chemist refused to give me as it was suggested may bring on a hart attack taking into account of my other medication, another time I received mouth wash which didn’t help with the symptom but I kept on buying the treatment because of on going gum and mouth problems it seems to help somewhat also at that time of attendance I had gone for a painful neck and hadn’t been involved in any traumas it was so weird that at the beginning of the week I started to feel discomfort but as the week went on the problem intensified so much by the end of the week I felt like I had whiplash and my neck was totally rigid, I was told I was probably laid in the wrong position in bed I wasn’t convinced by this as I feel if the problem lasted a week it would be at its worst in the beginning opposed to progressively getting worse as the week went on, I attended the clinic about this problem for the purpose to see if it was linked to the nausea problem like many problems I have seem to be without reason and just plain weird. The last time I attended for this ongoing problem I was growing more suspicious that the medication I was taking could be the cause of my problems so I researched the drug offered this time before administering and the leaflet that came with the drug that I was prescribed at this time said under no circumstances was I to take it if the painkillers I am on have been subscribed, also other possible side affects could cause loss of limb control such as flinching and eye control and as my only means of getting food and provisions for my wife and I is my ability to drive as neither her or I are capable of walking to a shop I chose not to take the risk I returned them to the chemist and felt that I should just give up as this has been going on for months, as a result of this problem I have experienced weight loss of about 4 ½ stone and although I needed to loose weight I had mentioned that I did no exercise of any form due to my problems and I was concerned I may be loosing weight for the wrong reasons this seemed to be brushed aside.

2. Burning sensation around my body but constant on soles of my feet: This was received on mentioning with silence and vague look as I could describe at the time that it was also in my one toe next to the big toe on my right foot I was left feeling that the doctor thought I was off my trolley.

3. Hands shake: I don’t think I mentioned this as sadly at times it feels like there is no point.

4. Dupuytrens contracture: ligaments in hand tightening up my hands will end up clawed.

5. Weakness: this was mentioned at the time of visits about nausea the Inability to do anything remotely physical over a very short period without leaving myself out of breath and and sometimes left in pain depending on tried activity.

6. No visible muscle on arms : Its as if there is no muscle there I know I lack exercise due to my problems but it feels like its just gone, It was not mentioned specifiably but goes along with 5.

7. Ringing in the ear: Tinnitus, last time visited it wasn’t so loud now seems loudest at night on a level of 1 to 10 I would say during the day 2 to 3 in the evening 4 to 6 pretty much the same as 3 at the time of last visit.

8. Most joints are painful: All hand joints, wrists,shoulders, elbows,both knees,right hip, one time I can remember in particular I couldn’t stand for long enough to cook a meal, also on a bad day a walk around a supermarket can be enough to render me chair bound for the rest of the day with freaky pains that go in joints as quick as they came and m

• Posted

Lorryt - let me say this first - then read on!

Moderators: So cutting off the end of long posts doesn't appear to have been cured!

However - from the symptoms you have been able to post, lorryt - ask your GP if they have heard of polymyalgia rheumatica. There is a discussion forum on here and an information page somewhere as well. They may find a blood test called your ESR is high (but mine never has been) and another test is the CRP - may also be raised but also not necessarily.

The symptoms include stiff shoulders and neck and/or hips, night sweats (though you don't mention them), fatigue, exhaustion and pain afterwards on doing simple exercise, unexplained weight loss, joint pain from synovitis/tendonitis.

There is officially no proven link between simvastin and PMR - but quite a few people go on to develop it after being on statins and simvastatin has the worst record. If your GP isn't helpful - see another in the practice (it is your right to do so) and make a complaint if they are difficult about it. Then the next step - if they don't do anything - is to demand a referral to a rheumatologist. Also your right. And if it isn't PMR, it could be another form of arthritis.

If you have any visual symptoms - lost of sight even for a very short time or blurring or double vision, and/or a severe headache around your temples, go to A&E because there is a more serious but related illness called giant cell arteritis.

Good luck

Eileen

• Posted

hello all, there are alternatives to simvastatin now a days which dont have the side effewcts of muscle pain so go back to see GP and inform them of your side effects and ask for alternative. More expensive but worth taking in the long run to reduce your lipid levels !
  • Posted

Hi I think there was actually 18 or 19 points made in the post so it was cut pretty short but thanks for the advice, I have been seeing my GP for about 3 years with loads of weird problems that I learned to live with as they were not resolved but it wasn't until recently I stopped taking the drug when I genuinely felt I was dying, I was laid on the couch short of breath and very weak and to be honest I thought there is no point ringing for a doctor and excepted my fate that I was going to die.

Then the light bulb moment came on when I saw on a forum a post entitled are you taking statins and 300 reasons not to, I stopped taking them instantly and things got a little better I don't have the feeling of impending death but I have many other problems that I'm not sure if they are permanent damage I'm now taking CoQ10 to try and reverse the damage.

I have since received an offer of an appointment for a cholesterol check and I rang up to tell them I wont be bothering as I don't want to die aided by the very drugs they give you to supposedly help you and gave the girl a quick run down of my problems so she has made me an extended appointment to see another doctor about all my problems, that is going to be some conversation I'm looking forward to if only to explain what it feels like to be 48 but living the life of a 90 year old.

• Posted

LOrry t, is it statins in general you are not keen on or just the simvastatin because fo the side effects. Atovastatin doesnt have the side effects you mention and many pateints find its a good drug. Simvastatin is a good drug too if you dont have side effects. I am on simvastatin with no problem at all and its halved by cholerol btu if I was getting the side effects you have, I woudl ask to chnage ot alternative.
  • Posted

LOrry t, is it statins in general you are not keen on or just the simvastatin because fo the side effects. Atovastatin doesnt have the side effects you mention and many pateints find its a good drug. Simvastatin is a good drug too if you dont have side effects. I am on simvastatin with no problem at all and its halved by cholerol btu if I was getting the side effects you have, I woudl ask to chnage ot alternative.
  • Posted

• Posted

Hi coggy, for about three years I've been having problems and the doctor has changed the drug a good few times so I've had a few different makes, to be honest I would sooner take my chances than take any make of these drugs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.