Simvastatin & muscle problems?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I received a letter from my GP this morning saying that they are going to redice my dose of Simvastatin by 50%, from 40mg to 20mg. I take this med for high BP & I also take meds for various other conditions, like osteo-arthritis, gout & fibro. The letter states that, taking this med with my other meds, may cause muscle problems. I have been on this med for a few years & have experienced chronic tiredness & fatigue. Fibro is a muscle disease anyway, so this Simvastatin could be making it a lot worse. I find it so hard to move around, my muscles, especially on my legs, are very week. I am undergoing physio & hydrotherapy to strengthen them ready for knee/hip surgery. If this Simvastatin IS weakening my muscles, then I am fighting an uphill battle here. Has anyone else had this problem, or had this letter sent to them? I appreciate any input. Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi ,I was on simvastatin for high Cholesterol ,,,,I stooped taking it after suffering muscle problems mainly my arms ,,,I couldn't lift my arm to comb my hair or wash it etc,after I stopped I was ok ,so it was obviously the statin ,( I think anyway. ) ,,later I read about them on Google ,,and it read words simarlar to ,,,,, not advisable after the age of 70 and people with chronic lung conditions ,personally ,,,I'm relieved I stopped taking them ,but please consult your GP ,
    • Posted

Hi Nanny, I actually meant to say that I was taking Simvastatin for high cholesterol. I have high BP, but have had problems with being out of breath too. My GP puts this down to my weight, which is too high I admit.
    • Posted

Hi ,I also have high BP. ,and also Asthma and chronic Bronchietis also emphasyma ,,,,,( and high cholesterol. ) I have an Actimil drink a day ,and cut down on saturated fat and dairy ,,I joined a gym and attend twice a week for an hour ,it was reccomended to me by COPD nurses who rake care of my lung problems ,I have lost 2&1/2 stone ( it's taken a long time 2 years. ) but it's getter off than on ,,,and I do enjoy my food ,take care ,
    • Posted

Thanks Nanny & well done for the weight losswink. The worst part for me, is the overwhelming tiredness & feeling weak. I intend to se my GP next week to see if it is safe for me. I can't stand being so tired all the time, sleeping & not getting any benefit. I feel I am sleeping my life away.
    • Posted

There are a number of different tablets for HC. ,,maybe a different one would suit you better,good luck ,,,,oh just a thought ,,,when I told my GP I had stopped taking it I thought I would get a telling off ,,,,but he said,,,, no one can make you take medication ,,,,decision was mine to make ,and understood my reasons ,but I would suggest you talk to your GP before doing anything ,,,,it was my decision,,,for me alone  ,best wishes,
  • Posted

Hi Lee, my hubby had exactly the same problem, he hated Simvistantin, it gave him terrible muscle pains! My cousin in Scotland told her GP if he didn't take her husband off, she would divorcee her hubby! Seriously though this particular statin does seem to cause many problems. I would suggest that the next time you have cause to see your GP, make a note to remember to discuss your statins as well! I hope this helps ❤️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.