Simvastatin problems.

Posted , 22 users are following.

Like others on here I was prescribed Simvastatin for high cholesterol.

I took it for a few months and as I already had some joint problems due to osteo arthritis and pain with same ,I noticed it was slowly getting worse.I saw my GP who told me that I was on such a low dosage 20mg that it could not possibly be Simvastatin to be the cause and it was my arthritic joints getting worse.I had sleep disturbance as well ,muscle pain in legs ,then my feet got so painful that on awaking in the morning I dreaded getting out of bed.

I saw my GP again who again told me to carry on taking as he was sure it was not the cause of the problem.

It got so bad that I just stopped taking it as I felt sure it was the cause of increased problems,that was June 2011,my routine blood test was 4 weeks later but my cholesterol level had gone to 7.2 so I had to confess I had stopped taking Simvastatin,I saw another GP in the practice who put me on Atorvastatin(Lipitor)20 mg.So far no side effects.Dec.2011.

3 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

1 or 2 weeks didn`t seem enough to get the Simvastatin out of my

system.It was 4 weeks approximately.But I then had to take another form of Statin because of raised cholesterol levels.So please don`t stop taking the medication long term without seeing your doctor.

• Posted

After having similar problems with muscle pain, especially my feet, I had been taking Simvastatin 40mg for two years, my GP finally told me to stop taking them. My condition has improved and is still improving. However, my GP insists that all statins are basically the same and have the same side effects and he won't try me on another.

I am awaiting the results of further blood tests and will be seeing a different GP for a second opinion. Any comments would be appreciated.

Colin

• Posted

As an update to the above, after a month without taking Simvastatin I was virtually pain free. I then went back on to Simvastatin but at a reduced dose of 20mg. This has worked fine for almost two years but I am now back with the hip pain which is becoming unbearable. I stopped the Simvastatin two days ago and the pain is already subsiding. My GP plans to put me on Atorvastatin 20mg and we'll see how that goes. However, I don't want to take Simvastatin, at any dose, again.
    • Posted

Hello Colin,

I hope it works for you I have been on Atorvastatin for almost 3 years without side effects.Like you there is no way I would risk Simvastatin again.

Regards Rita.

• Posted

Hello Colin S,

Like you the pain in my feet was the final straw.As I have written previously ,I am now on Atorvastatin,been on it for nearly 6 months and so far so good.I was a bit apprehensive that it would give same side effects but, so far so good.The brand I have is Lipitor,but sometimes I am given a generic brand,but it is all Atorvastatin .My cholesterol level is now 4.1 I had a blood test 4 weeks ago.

Which is good ,as I was not going to take Simvastatin again because I was so sure it was the cause of the problem.But I knew I needed to reduce cholesterol levels as they were so high without it.

I think that seeing a different GP was helpful for me so I hope the same for yourself.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hello Norfolk Gal and Colin S.

I have now been OFF statins since last January (especially Simvastatin). As someone pointed out earlier, ALL statins have basically the same side effects, so if you are sensitive to any of the side effects the statins bring with them, then it won't matter which specific statins you are taking - you will be hit by the side effects.

Like many other people, I am affected by (crippling) muscle and joint pains and dysfunction. I fully discussed my reservations with my GP ( about 3 weeks after stopping Simvastatin). I also told him how I had researched dietary changes and alternatives and that - initially - I wanted to go down that route. I also found in my research that, statins are not perhaps all that , that '' they are cracked up to be''. However, Big Pharma earns an awful lot of money by pushing these drugs. They also pay GPs bonuses for the prescriptions.....

As a result of the open and frank discussion, my GP (whom I trust) sent me off for a blood test, looking for multitudinous scenarios, including any sign of artheritus or rheumatoid artheritus ( there were none!). My cholesteral level were slightly higher than it should have been - but then - after all, I had only just started tweaking / changing my diet.

I started off by changing from eating red meat to eating more fish, especially oily fish (fish, green salad and raw coloured vegetables for breakfast with black rye bread, followed by a banana and / or a plain youghourt with honey). I have added cholesteral-lowering food to my diet from there. You can change your cholesterol level by the food you eat!

For me, this has meant that I can now put my socks and shoes on in the morning again, bend down to pick things off the floor again, walk to the PO Box in the village again , take the dog out for his twice daily 40 minute walks again, do gardening again and go on walks and hikes and start cycling again, stroll around our local little market town on market days for a couple of hours hunting for bargains again.

There IS something true in the saying ''You Are What You Eat''.

Changing a GP is not always the answer. Do your home work and then make sure your GP knows what you want and engage him / her in a frank and honest discussion. Make and bring (short!) notes with you to your appointment from your research and own experiences.

Another benefit of changing my diet has been, that I have also lost weight quite naturally ( for my height and build I carried about 5 kgs excess weight) I have one kg more to go.....

I will be very interested in hearing from people who have travelled a similar ''journey'' to myself and will be quite happy to share my own experiences with anyone keen (as I was) to try and take My health a little bit more into my own hands and not to be so daunted by GPs and Big Pharma....

Hope I have posted something POSITIVE!

• Posted

hi again, you means your diet work? you are no more on medication and your cholesterol has drop  permanently? pleas confirm thank.
    • Posted

Hi ,Norfolk gal  here.I have not yet had a blood test so do not know if  cider vinegar & honey working,blood test due end of month.By then it will be a good 2 months since I stopped the Atorvastatin,which I had no problems with for a good while.Then the muscle pains slowly developed and eventually my feet were affected.I did not tell the doctor, just stopped getting repeat prescription.The surgery phoned and I see Doctor on 21st of this month.I think have decided not to try any other statin as they really seem to cause me problems in the end after a while.How ever I do not know what my cholesterol level is as present.But feel quite anti them at present.I shall listen to what the doctor advises.
    • Posted

hi norfolk gal, good day to you and thanks for your comment, aso i will like  you to get back to me after your text, i hope your cholesterol will be stable injesus name, amen.
    • Posted

Good day, I am new to this site (or any other site)  I note your dietary changes and how much better you are feeling. I would like to add to your list of no no's. Tomatoes, potatoes and peppers; + any other veg belonging to the deadly nightshade family, they will irritate joints more if you are suffering from any existing joint issues. Been there, done that so to speak.  I am in a huge amount of pain even though I take morphine liquid & capsules, will approach GP to speak about coming off Simavastin.  Thank you for doing the "donkey work"
  • Posted

Simvastatin and Lipitor gave me terrible muscle problems, I would wake at night and be almost crying with the pain I have familial hypocholesterol so now take ,rouvastatin and ezetemibe with no pain
  • Posted

Hi Pamdish,

Glad you seem to be sorted with a cholesterol lowering drug.I shall take note of the names of the ones you take .Just in case I have to change.

Fortunately so far I seem ok on the Lipitor,it has been nearly 9 months now.Diet control alone is not enough for me so I need to take something.

Good Luck.

• Posted

lol your congratulations to Pamdish seem rather inappropriate as she was stating a complaint with statins like the rest of us are doing.  Are you sure this is the right venue for you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.