Simvastatin severe headache

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started 20mg daily from Wed 28 August. By the Sat my head was aching. By this wed it had become unbearable so I stopped that day. Like no headache I have ever had before, not even a bad migraine or sinus. Anyone know how long it will take to get the drug out of my system? Head is still bad today. I have read the half life is 12hrs so why am I still suffering? Paracetamol and aspirin not touching it and am allergic to ibuprofen (vomiting).

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi...I don't remember statins causing a headache with me....but they affect diferent people in diferent ways......it was my leg and arm muscles ..weakness and pain....thinning hair....but I'm sure that there will be others who have been affected by headaches.....I can tell you what I used to try when I had a headache which didn't respond to painkillers.....if you have a bath at home.....fill it with enough warm water to cover your head...from your forehead to the back of your neck...it's the only thing that worked for me....hope this helps and you find relief soon...

• Posted

Once a Dr told me he took 3 asprin for a proper migraine I worked for me. Also and ice pack and if that doesn't work a shot of pethadine at hospital has always worked  hope you feel better soon

• Posted

I think you should see you GP if you still have such a bad headache as it could be other things not related to the statins.
    • Posted

True but I feel quite a coincidence. I shall see how it is on Monday if I can bear it that long. I think it is easing slightly
    • Posted

Glad it is easing but if it returns as severe you should visit A & E to be checked. Good luck

• Posted

Hi annemarigold, so sorry to hear that. Is the pain in the "top" of your head ? few on here have found that. Feels like your hair is being pulled out ? Only thing I found to stop it was Max Alt which is on a script for migraines. You have not been on statins long so the hope is it wont take long for them to stop. I was on statins for 18 months about 5 months now since stopping and I still get the odd one but have mostly gone I am still getting the horrendouse neck cramps though and these last days. Just depends how your body reacts to this poison.

• Posted

My head is more like a stiff neck pain but higher up. Feels like my head is in a vice. I think it is improving but only slowly.
    • Posted

Hum good you got off the statins, I think you would have found it would have slowly developed in to a very odd pain in the top of your head.
  • Posted

The only thing that I respond to well for headaches is acetominophin, or Excedrin, tho the Excedrin version includes caffein.  Mine are caused by not eating regularly, indicating hypoglycemia, none fo them were ever related to the statins when I was on them.  No correlation in my case.  But of course, different strokes for different folks.

Good that you got an early warning, anyway.  Some people stay on them a long time before anything untoward creeps up on them, like my memory problems did on me.  I was on them for months before it became obvious that my mind had holes in it from the statins.  (tested on statins and off statins, a month or 2 at a time, coupled with corresponding cholesterol tests. I  know for sure it's true.)

I would try muscle relaxers like valium, sounds like your muscles in there are really seized up.  I have been known to have ultrasound used on muscles of mine that would not let go.  Not an instant cure, but it worked.  

I would also try massage - deep tissue and pressure points.  I have personally brought about relaxation to seized up neck muscles within half an hour with some of my own personal deep tissue techniques.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.