Since discontinuing mirtazapine, I have had extreme emotional numbness, loss of appetite, etc.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I stopped taking mirtazapine in January, almost four months ago, and since then I have had a number of symptoms which were not present 12 months ago before starting this medication. They include:

• extreme emotional numbness and anhedonia
  • nonexistent appetite
  • nonexistent motivation (every action feels like it takes 100 times more effort than it should)

This does not appear to be getting any better and I feel like this drug has totally destroyed my brain. I f****d up my entire life by taking it. Can anyone tell me if there is a way out for me? I am done with medications, I just want to return to the way I was before this stupid drug.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi, ive come off it 3 times, and the last time was only on it short term, i had all your symptoms plus some and i healed x

• Posted

I came off Mirtazipine in December and had horrible symptoms - anxiety and insomnia in particular but also loss of appetite and inability to concentrate. . Over the last few weeks things have been improving. This last week I have felt almost "normal" Hang in there.

• Edited

I hear you its been 12 months for me , it has been a long road for me, i was never like i am now prior to taking this drug. I get your expression about it F... your brain up. I was on 45mg for 16 months. Time is the only thing that helps it takes along time to heal your brain from the chemicals introduced. Please continue to be strong and patient. it sucks, wish i never started taking this drug, it has created a monster, my anxiety was nothing compared to what it is now. I was really sick for 3 months post stopping this drug, no appetite, muscle tension, burning sensation throughtout my body, extreme anxiety , lucky i had great family support , i couldnt leave my house for 3 months i felt so ill. I was determined not to go back on it. The pressure of returning to work and living doing normal everyday things has been so hard, ive had to push through as hard as it has been , im getting there. theres no short fix unfortunately.

• Posted

how are you now @lesley90944 i too have the all over burning. 4 months off mirt now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.