Since We Are All Complaining

Posted , 5 users are following.

Why not join the crowd, I felt fine this morning, then I took my Amlodipine, now I'm ready for a snooze. Wouldn't it be great if the majority of posts here were all happy, positive, glowing reports of how wonderful life is, but alas, this forum is about anxiety! That horrible self denying, destroyer of reality. I suppose it's good to relate those feelings that others identify with, "yes they feel the same", yes, that's the same feeling, yes, yes". How about NO, thats a feeling that is alien to me, that is a feeling that doesn't belong, that is a feeling that is pretend, like the childrens games that were once played, the girs playing house, the guys playing with cap guns, well, they used to. all the games we played, now more games, the kind we accept as reality, tat is really a load of lies, How about, "it's a beautiful day, and I feel great, there's so much to do, I don't have time to complain, Have a good one"!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

How can the majority of post be happy when ppl are in an anxious or panic state of mind .not easy to just shut it off .
  • Posted

If we have something positive to say we will, if you have seriously felt as we all have at some point you wouldn't be commenting the way you are, we use this site as a release when we are feeling crap, we really dont need anyone adding to our stress, sorry if im offending anyone but I feel this had to be said
    • Posted

I felt like crap longer than you, and most here, and it's my opinion that talking about feeling like crap makes you feel like crap more. I used to feel great after feeling like crap, really wonderful, so I gave more thought to the great feeling after that crap feeling. So, you may not like my opinion, so be it, I won't lose any sleep over it.

If all of you keep harping on that panic, OMG feeling, of course it will keep you company because fear breeds fear, breeds fear, and so on, and so on. Yes, it's nice to know there are others who have the same fear of fear, but doesn't that feed what you are feeling. I used to scare the sh*t out of myself for a hell of a long time, I identify with most of you. But I learned to recognize the total BS that I was putting myself through. Maybe I'm one of the few that stopped believeing in the boogy man that I kept alive for my own reasons, and all of you have your own reasons, try to identify with them, try to be a detective, and find why it is that you gave "Captain Howdy" life, I found mine,

• Posted

Yes you can have your opinion, but if you have fended of your demons why are you on this site?
    • Posted

Why am I on this site? Well, to prove that there is light at the end of the tunnel. No one can be completely free, I get the occasional twinges, it's the way we're wired, I hate redundancy, so I won't repeat my opinions, but I'm sure the more you think about tension, the embers keep hot, then that flame appears, and the fire starts, for some it's a fire storm, I empathize for them, being trapped in the middle of that pretend storm that feels real. However wouldn't it be great to hear from someone in a cancer forum that survived, I used to be in cancer forums, I used to talk to cancer patients, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2005. So, whats the problem with me being in an anxiety forum, just because I survived doesn't mean I shouldn't be here, right, stressed2thdmax?
    • Posted

Hey i get what your saying, I aint saying you shouldnt be here but just try and remember when you were at your wits end and you just needed comforting words and reassurance from others who could relate to where you were coming from, maybe im misreading your comments but to me some of them are quite harsh, im glad you have survived as we all will im sure, but in our darkest moments we just need someone to chat to and this site is great for that.
    • Posted

The reality is, at least for me, I opened the door to panic, it began in the early 70's. I lived with the onslaught for many years believing it was necessary, a part of me, I was conditioned. The more it happened, the more the conditioning process took hold. Yes, comforting words can be helpful, but IMO they're like bandaids, the real causes are still active.

I know how difficult it can be to interrupt the conditioning, but in doing so, it can begin the healing process. 

• Posted

Of course you have a right to be here, to give advice on how to overcome issues you yourself have been through... but you should show the same empathy you would have expected when you were on your journey... We are all at different stages, you are one of the luckier ones but we will all get there in the end, with the right support
    • Posted

I empathize for them, being trapped in the middle of that pretend storm that feels real. (From my last post).
  • Posted

You sound like one of those ex smokers who has no sympathy with addicts.  There's a nice pleasant way to give your views and then people might get some help from them, otherwise you are only making it worse for them, and you don't really want to do that.?  None of us spend any more time on the forums than we need to, and loads of people find them helpful.  there will of course be some who aren't strong enough to change, and i pity them.   
    • Posted

I do empathize with those that are afflicted with anxiety, and I do understand the comfort of others identifying with similar problems. I'll always remember the panic, it's like being an alcoholic, that never changes, even though the drinking has stopped. I guess I just became very bored with scaring myself, and realizing it was a conditioned response, and I had better things to do than play Holloween 24/7. I'm not making light of this panic thing, I'm saying it plays a big joke on our selves mimicking real physical problems, now thats really boring.
  • Posted

I do get what you are saying, partly, because I think now, "why didn't I do this all those years ago"...tackle the anxiety etc.  I wish I could have, but the light only came on recently.  I don't know why the timing was so late.  Its great you have come so far.  i am not stress free, but i know how to cope with it. But other folk aren't where you are, or me, and it did sound a bit like, "snap out of it, i did, why can't you."  perhaps i am misinterpreting you.  Maybe you could write a simple summary of how you have progressed.  It might be long, but it would be useful to many, including myself. I would be very interested.  As for perpetuating and feeding the feeling, you are right in a sense there.  I limit myself to the few people i have made contact with, that's the best I can do, to help myself and hopefully others.  To sit every day reading through all this stuff is not beneficial and probably counterproductive.  Anne
    • Posted

Here's what works for me, I visualized what I feel like after an episode, I said to myself it's over, and I realized there really wasn't any need to go through the feeling. Now, there will always be the memories, the mind cannot wipe it all out, but again, for me it's like a bully that is fat, flabby, and weak, it's the false importance I gave it, it's not worthy of giving it any significance because it's a paper tiger, lots of bluster, but nothing to back it up. Think about it, I'm going on 77, I've had it for many years, I fought cancer, and ironically I didn't have any anxiety when I was going through the treatments. Even the doctors asked if I needed sleep aids, I told them no, I accepted what I had, thought positive, and followed the advice of the doctors.

It's thinking positive that helped me, it's knowing that those bad feelings are just that, "bad feelings" that is like a small bump in the road, you pass over it. and the road is smooth ahead, even though, there could be other bumps, your suspension is strong, and your momentum is never interrupted.

• Posted

It's amazing what the mind can do.  And its strange how some people are affected and others aren't.  My brother swears its in our genes, but maybe its learned, because my mother was always anxious.  I am trying to get my mind to go back to the first time I felt anxious to see if I can find how it all started. Because I know I didnt always feel like that.  I am 63 now, and I'm sure I've felt like this since I was 20-ish.   Like I say, its much better now, I think keeping a diary and looking back and seeing nothing came from the feeling lets you see how the time was wasted. Its a long road, and don't you feel great when you make progress, when the next bad period is shorter or not so intense because you can tell yourself its just a feeling.  Maybe people reading your post and mine will take heart and courage.x
  • Posted

I agree, i think it's genetic too! I have always been an anxious type too since i was about 19 but it has got worse and worse over the years with life events throwing themselves at me and knocking me for six...it's a comforting thought that we can get better with support and guidance
    • Posted

hi Tracie, even though its genetic, it doesnt mean we have to accept it. There is so much more knowledge and info about illnesses now.  You can get better, - counselling CBT, self help, its possible and the sooner you start the better.  All these things will help to change how you cope with feelings and react to life events. As trikkerguy and i have said, we cannot change the past but we wish we could, so many years of suffering.  I found and still do find meditation helpful,(concentrating on breathing and pushing thoughts away, also helps me get to sleep. journalling..writing down my thoughts and feelings (dont need to do it now), distraction, for me tin whistle, sudoku, ....just to illustrate, I went to an art class today, feeling pains in my arm and hot and a bit anxious.  i got so engrossed in what i was doing, when I came out I realised I hadn't had a pain the whole time.  Work at it, you will get there. I also loved the painting and have found something i can't wait to do again.biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.