Sinclair method

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wondering what experience people have had w the Sinclair method. Has anyone heard of new medications coming out soon for AUD? Wish I didn't have this problem 😢

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It seems to be the best method for helping people with AUD.

But I'm no expert. RHGB and Paul J Turner will reply to you soon, and many others. They have the most knowledge and experience and will help you.

Love Tess xx

• Posted

Shannon, I was a daily drinker for over 30 years. TSM worked great for me. I started early in January and halfway through June started having back to back dry days. I used to bend everything around my daily 5pm drinking schedule. I largely don't think about drinking as of late. That's a huge difference for me. All I had to do was take a pill an hour before doing what I was going to do anyway (drink). Every month that passed, I was satisfied with less and less beer and now I'm largely satisfied with no beer at all. 

In France the government is getting behind Baclofen, which works via a different route than TSM, but might be just the ticket for some with Alcohol Use Disorder. I don't believe you'll get it on NHS though. If you're in the UK, you might get Nalmefene, Naltrexone, Campral or Antabuse, depending on your situation (from what I've read). Have a look at this, should help you begin to gather some facts together:

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

Are you in the UK?  

• Posted

That is SUCH great news!!! I'm so proud of the both of you! 

• Posted

It's amazing! He's even got his diabetes under control. Many of his blood sugars are normal now!

Wow. I am sooooooooooooooo happy for both of us. We're awa' tae Scotland next week to see a bunch of McDonald relations who we've never met because Jim was brought up in a children's home and we (I) managed to contact ONE brother last October. There are millions more, apparently. Ah Canna' Wait.

• Posted

Thank you, I'm in the States. Did it make u sick or depressed? I wish I would have known about this method. I have not had a drink in 15 months, but I would like to be able to. I had bad anxiety when I stopped, my hands did shake at times.

• Posted

That sounds great! I hope you two have a wonderful time reconnecting with the family!
    • Posted

Yes, Shannon, the anxiety and shaking are hallmarks of sudden alcohol withdrawal.

I didn't have a problem with it since with TSM you generally reduce so gradually. Some do get initial side effect from taking Naltrexone, but you can start with half a pill on top of a meal, followed by lots of water throughout till the side effects pass (within a few days to a couple of weeks). NB, some get no side effects at all from the Naltrexone. I got testy for a few days and had a bit of a headache from it. It did suppress my appetite most of the time I was on it.

There's about a 10% chance that you'll take the Nalrexone per TSM guidelines and it won't make any difference. In most cases that I've read about, where people started TSM during abstinence, they get control of their drinking very quickly. 

If you're in the states, there's a list of TSM doctors you can check into. I'll PM you the link.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.