Sinclair Method

Posted , 8 users are following.

I’m wondering if using the Sinclair Method would make my anxiety & depression worse, I’m currently on medication for this, thanks for your time

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shannon

TSM hasn't affected my Husbands meds, but we are all different. Would a gp know? They don't seem to know anything about TSM or want to know. Here's hoping you will receive a more informed reply

Kind Regards

JulieAnne x

• Posted

Great reply by Julie-Anne.

Although either of the medications that can be used for The Sinclair Method don't tend to interact with many medications if they are not opiate-based medications, only a doctor or pharmacist can check for interactions against the medications you are taking.

In terms of whether it will generally make your anxiety or depression worse, it's important to know that TSM medications are opioid-antagonist medications, which means that the occupy the opioid receptors in the brain and prevent endorphins attaching to them.  Therefore, whilst the medication is active in your system, you would not be receiving any endorphins at all.  This is why it is only used prior to drinking, which as you then drink less and less, there is no medication active in your system leaving you free to resume normal life - it is specifically used to target the endorphins that are released by alcohol consumption.

If you currently drink every day, then it means you will be taking a tablet every day and so in the short term, some people doing this report feeling a bit down, dull or 'flat'.  This is conteracted by working towards having a day when you don't drink alcohol, so don't need the tablet, and then you can use that time to get a good blast of endorphins.

I guess it's the age-old question of whether someone's anxiety and depression is being made worse by the drinking?  If it is, then not only will the alcohol cause your current medications to not be working so well to help your anxiety and depression, but less drinking will make the overall condition better anyway. 

As a counsellor, I've supported many through this treatment now, and I can say that without doubt the majority  report back with much less depression and anxiety once the alcohol consumption decreases.

Definitely something to consider discussing with your doctor!

• Posted

How are you now Shannon? Coming along and no tension or stress?
    • Posted

Hi robin,

Been very depressed, I think it’s hormonal, I have drank 1 time in 2.5 years but not happy, I’m dry drunk I guess is the term, I have always been tempted to try the Sinclair Method, I don’t know how long I can keep away from the drink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.