Sinclair method, I seem to be stuck in my progress.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had been a long time drinker many years in the making. I started the sinclair method 7 months ago and have cut my average drinking amount down from an average of 8 drinks per night to 4.5. I am happy for that progress but I seem to be stuck at 4.5 drinks per night and have made no progress for the last 5 months. In fact one month I averaged 3.5 drinks which was 6 months ago. Is this normal to reach such a plateau? I sure would prefer to drink less and am disappointed that I have not had greater progress. I am taking the 50 mg 1 hr before drinking and drink primarily beer 80% of the time.

Would like to hear from Joanne on this. Should I ask the dr who is two states away for an increase in dosage? Thanks for responses.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Barry,

I have just arrived at work so will reply later. Just wanted you to know that i had seen your post.

Joanna

• Posted

Hi Barry,

I have just arrived at work so will reply later. Just wanted you to know that i had seen your post.

Joanna

• Posted

Hi Barry, I am with you ... I haven't been taking the med as long, but I am worried it isn't working for me. I have forgotten only once, otherwise I have always been compliant and I am working hard at it.. I so want to cut down!!

• Posted

Amy well I think the best thing we can do is stay with it. At least we are drinking less which is good. I am happy to be drinking less and it's the only thing that seems to work. I did AA many times and once got a year and several times got 3 months, but I was miserable and craving all the time. My craving is less certainly. Wondering what 75 mg would do as oppose to the 50. Waiting for Joanna to comment. Best wishes.

• Posted

Barry,

I am not particularly certain if you need a higher dosage because the fact that it has been working tends to suggest that everything is fine in that regard. However, having said that, if you take on board what I will write below and try it, if you are finding it difficult then it certainly would be worth a discussion with your doctor, yes.

Now then, when we drink the neuropathways in our brain become reinforced again and again and again. For someone like yourself who has been a very long term drinker, your pathways will be really strong from the reinforcement - sort of like a super highway, rather than a country lane. This means that it almost certainly will take the naltrexone longer to weaken them to a point where they eventually crumble. From my experience, extinction of cravings can take anywhere from 6 months to a year, and to even longer in very long-term drinkers. So, you not only have the pathways to break down, but also a very longstanding habit, too.

The naltrexone sounds like it is doing it's thing in the background, albeit slowly, so what I would suggest is that you decide to do something that breaks your usual habitual drinking. A good example of this which seems to work well for people is that after the first drink, then quickly pop a mint in their mouth. This means that any drink will taste horrid until the taste of the mint has gone, and that gives them the little nudge they need to start interrupting that habitual drinking. Then, do something else for the time you are eating the mint, and you will hopefully find yourself delaying the next drink until you eventually think 'nah, maybe I will have a tea instead'.

There are really three things you can change about your drinking - the start time, the end time, the middle bit and then the end.

All you are looking for is to slowly chip away at your edge of what you normally do, and see what happens. You might surprise yourself!

I tend to liken this whole process to someone who wants to lose weight. There are some really good medications that can help a person with losing weight, but that alone is unlikely to get someone to their ideal weight, especially if they are used to eating a lot of fast food. For that person, their aim is to begin to learn to make better decisions about their drinking, start slowly replacing some of the fast food with learning how to cook a healthy and tasty meal.

Hope this helps and please do ask anything else that you might think of, or if this isn't particularly clear to you. I try to explain things the best I can, but sometimes I am not quite sure if I put across what I want to say in a simple way 😃

• Posted

Joanna, thank you so much for your suggestions. I will get some mints. Had no idea it would affect the taste as such but simple and easy to try. And, thank you for the invaluable work you do it is a most wonderful gift you are sharing. Thanks Barry

• Posted

THANK YOU ! MY DIC WINT GUVE ME NALTREXONE TILL IM OFF TRAMADOL WHICH HE GUVES ME FOR BOTH ARTHRITIS AND FIBROMYALGIA AS WELL AS MEDS FOR DEPRESSION, THYROID, anxiety etc I DO UNDERSTAND THAT, I WAS IN REHAB FOR THE 5th time in JULY. when i came HOME I STARTED DRINKING AND I KNEW BEFORE I WENT IN I EASNT READY BUT I MADE A PACT I WONT DRINK BEFORE 5pm or after 12 midnight. ive also kept a record of every drink, what time and measure it. ITS BEEN FINE EVERYONE SAYING HOW PROWD THEY ARE as is my COUNCILLOR I SEE EVERY FORTNIGHT. i was drinking a bottle of vodka a day for years . I TOO HAVE BEGAN HAVING IINCREASING URGES BUT TRY TO KEEP BUSY ALTHOUGH THERES ONLY SO MUCH YOU CAN DO TO DISTRACT YOURSELF. SORRY IVE BEEN SO LONG WINDED . i think what im trying to say is you kind of gave me a bit of a lift THANK YOU.

susan

• Posted

Thank you. Try a few different things that might work for you if the mint trick doesn't, and then if you find you are still stuck at that plateau have a chat with your prescribe before increasing the dose.

My experience has shown me that, in reality, although there are some who do need an increased dose, the numbers are very small. Any plateau-ing is more often down to the reality of trying to break the habit component of our condition. So, if you eliminate that element first and if it isn't working, then perhaps you might be one of the few who do need a slightly higher dosage.

• Posted

Thank you, Susan. I am glad to have give you a little lift and hope things get sorted out for you soon. The pain you have must be terrible, I can't imagine that.

x

• Posted

Hi I'm doing TSM too albeit secretly off label! I'm no medic but I suggest to use the pill as tool and you might need to make some lifestyle changes? So you drink every night? Could you cut down on the nights? Make some lifestyle changes? Habit is very strong. I'd be interested too in what others say as I'm new on this

• Posted

Also I have to say I had a non compliant night (Not deliberately) and have found not working as well as before. Very early days for me but something to be aware of

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.