Sinking

Posted , 2 users are following.

So many are so gleeful this time of year. For the past several years mine is gone. Health issues, getting old and hopelessness are gaining a stronghold. Even a strong (once strong) Christian can fall to the depths of depression. Lexapro had run it's course and isn't working. Only thing keeping me here is loyalty to support my wife. No life insurance.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Greg. So sorry that you are so depressed. This time of the year is hard on lots of people it brings up all kind of issues and feelings and not all are good. 

Have you discussed the fact that Lexapro is no longer working for you with your doctor they may be able to change you to something that would start working. 

I just have learned that I don't have to let the holidays have a negative effect on me so I plan ahead for something that I enjoy if things don't work out. 

Hope something I said helps. Keep us posted. Diane

• Posted

Thank you for writing back Diane. I have not spoken to the doctor. I probably will, yet I have already such a hard time accepting that a need medicine to enhance a mood

It puts me in a mindset that my faith isn't good enough and it should be. Can you please elaborate on planning ahead if you wouldn't mind?

• Posted

Sure Greg I can explain what I mean by planning ahead for the holidays. My children are grown and I went through a bad divorce years ago and that changes everything. All traditions went out the door so I decided I could be miserable or flexible. I had never been very flexible. So I moved to another state and accepted invitations if they came if not I cooked for myself and invited people over OR I stayed home and got special movies lined up. I love movies. I ordered in or cooked my favorite foods. Planned what to do the day after Christmas. Always having something to look forward to. Guess what? It worked and it is still working. This year on Christmas I will be home until 5:00 pm when I will join my ex daughter-in-law and granddaughter for a fun night of our favorite movies and food. Now I catch hell for being in such a good relationship with that lovely daughter-in-law but what the heck. It's my life. I do not do that to hurt anyone. She is so sweet and is the mother of my grandchild. I hope the point that I am trying to make came across if not ask questions because I have all night to answersmile! Diane

• Posted

I admire your direction and plan Diane.  We of course have family plans on that day.  Mostly with my wife's ex husband and large family (Yes, we have a pretty good relationship and have always been included in Thanksgiving and Christmas.  This way we are around the kids and grandkids as well)  I wish it wouldn't create such a big scene if i were to skip out though because for the past couple of years i have wanted to be alone so as to not have to pretend, put on the bunny suit and hop around if you know what i mean.  I get no joy and do not get any pleasure from these get togethers.  Much of the time i just sit by myself and do not interact.  I realize this is selfish of me, but i do it for my wife.

• Posted

Greg it can't be selfish to give that to your wife on Christmas. We don't take away points for our feelings people can't read our mindssmile! Thank God. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.