Sinus Infection.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey Guys,

I think i might be suffering with Sinitis I have been to my GP and they have told me that I have an inflammed and swollen ear canal been given antibiotics and ear drops to try and clear it up but could that be the cause of my sinuses playing up?

The symptoms in which im suffering from are:

Feels like pressure behind my right cheekbone, my top teeth feel like they are aching (so making me think i have toothache) and i feel like there is pressure in my temple and my eye are these symptoms of a sinus infection? I have been referred to ENT for my ear but was just wondering if anyone else has symptoms like this

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sinus infection is horrible and can really make life miserable.  My pains always started in the point above my eye socket where my nose would meet it, if you see what I mean.  It would spread right across my eyebrow area and make my whole face ache. 

Yours does sound like it's more from the ear and perhaps the trigeminal nerve across that side of your face is inflamed as it has branches that go to your eye, jaws and teeth. 

The antibiotics and drops should clear it up but the ENT appointment will check all is well. 

Just as a caution, you may have been given and antibiotic called Ciprofloxacin  (or Ciprodex, which are drops that contain Ciprofloxacin).  This is a very strong antibiotic that can have some very nasty side effects.  If you've got this, please read the leaflet and watch out for any pains in your legs, joints - or anywhere!  Doctors often say they'll go when you finish the tablets but this isn't always the case (see the discussions on fluoroquinolone antibiotics to see what I mean!).

If you haven't been given it (and I hope you haven't!), that's fine - but you might want to make a note of the name in case anyone prescribes it to you - or your friends and family - in the future.

I'm not saying this to try and frighten you, but I am trying to warn as many people as possible about it.  It's unlike any other antibiotic and the FDA in America have finally accepted the damage it can do, but the UK are unfortunately lagging behind!

I hope your infection clears up soon and you have no more trouble. 

Take Care.

• Posted

I have chronic sinus issues since a fall smashed up my nose. But in my area (UK) they will not give antibiotics for sinus as they say no evidence of effect. Nor will they refer me, say I have to live with it. It is horrible and painful, so I may go privately if I save up, as I had to with a different condition due to being fobbed off. I did complain but they say it is following guidelines from the NHS. Your symptoms do sound like sinus, but the referral should be able to throw some light for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.