Sinus Infection after Cataract Surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

i wanted to share my story hoping it might help someone else. I had my second eye done and the next day my eye sight was amazing. By the third day I had absolutely no discomfort. I was so happy as I had had problems with my first eye. On the fourth day I showered and washed my hair being careful using my shield, tape and keeping my head back.  Unfortunately some water seeped into my shield and my eye got wet. It stung terrible and I was terrified. I had read this could cause infection.  All weekend my eye hurt badly. Saw the dr on ties but he didn't seem concerned but gave me drops to elevate pressure. Two days later I was back as my eye was extremely painful. He said the incision was iritated but again nothing wrong. I also mentioned I had a bad headache over my eye. He said see your dr you have a sinus infection. Went to urgent care the next day and was prescribed a strong antibiotic. The next day my pain was almost gone. The point of my long story is don't give up. If you think something is wrong there probably is. I wish you all great vision 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda. Had my second eye done last Tuesday. Just finished my five days of antibiotic drops Chloramphenicol. My vision was blurred on the Tuesday but by the Wednesday night was very clear. Still using the Steroid drops Pred-Forte until the 28 days are up. I managed to shower and wash my hair but kept a face cloth over my face and head back. So far so good. Just to go for my check up in three weeks then back to the opticians to get new bi focals. The hospital gave me an ID Card which can be swiped showing my lens implant details. So that's me officially chipped. Ha. All the best.
  • Posted

Hi Linda: I just read your post from 2 years ago. It was very helpful since I’m going through the headache like yours. I really would like to know what worked for you and how are you feeling now. Thanks. Ligia 
    • Posted

I had headaches off and on for a week straight after my 2nd cataract surgery. They finally went away though and it's been almost 2 weeks since my surgery now (I had Imitrex to take - it's for migraines, but you can try over the counter migraine medication). Just rest a lot and try to drink a lot of water.

When was your surgery ligia?

• Posted

Also, as long as you don't get your eye wet, you can steam your sinuses in a hot shower. Even when I think I maybe have a sinus infection, I never take antibiotics and it always goes away just with rest (and it's hard to tell sinus headaches from migraines a lot of the time, which reminds me you can also buy OTC sinus headache medication, for me the best kind are the ones with antihistamines that make you drowsy, unless you have to stay awake that is).

• Posted

Hi Nina,

I’m sorry to answer you until today but I just saw your messages. Let me tell you that after appointments with my PCP, dentist, oftalmologo, and back with my PCP, and after using mists, put something in my mouth to stop snoring, and, of course, home remedies, with no results.  My doctor said I had a sinus infection so I’m taking antibiotics and Claritin. My  headaches are gone, however, even when my left eye surgery was a month ago I still have some other symptoms that’s  why I don’t feel like doing the right eye yet. I have a follow up appt tomorrow.  So we’ll see.  I’m don’t mind to have it done, but I’m afraid to get the headaches again.

Nina, Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. 

• Posted

Hi Nina,

I’m sorry to answer you until today but I just saw your messages. Let me tell you that after appointments with my PCP, dentist, oftalmologo, and back with my PCP, and after using mists, put something in my mouth to stop snoring, and, of course, home remedies, with no results.  My doctor said I had a sinus infection so I’m taking antibiotics and Claritin. My  headaches are gone, however, even when my left eye surgery was a month ago I still have some other symptoms that’s  why I don’t feel like doing the right eye yet. I have a follow up appt tomorrow.  So we’ll see.  I’m don’t mind to have it done, but I’m afraid to get the headaches again. 

Nina, Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. 

• Posted

You're welcome ligia. Sometimes it takes longer to recover for some people, for example my first eye was much easier for me to recover from than my 2nd eye. Unfortunately you're having a rough recovery with your first eye. Definitely wait to see how you feel after more time before you have the second eye done (and if you never tried generic Imitrex before, it's prescription migraine medication that you may want to try just to see if it helps - probably start with the 50 mg pills, your PCP can prescribe it).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.