Sinus infection symptom or something else?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have suffered from sinus infections a few times over the past year and the symptoms have always been the same. A few days ago I began with the usual symptoms e.g blocked nose, pressure pains above upper back teeth, full ears and pains in the face. Today however I have noticed whenever I chew anything i get a slight ache and tight sensation in my forehead. I've never had this before and I'm just wondering if this is typical for a sinus infection? Thank you for reading.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I think with the sinuses you never quite know where the pressure will be and what nerves it can effect. Also, if you keep getting problems maybe the affected areas are spreading ? There's quite a few cavities in there!

When I used to get sinus problems it was always on one side of my forehead, above my eyebrow and then round and down that side of my eye and nose. (Either side but never both together!). Sometimes it would spread down and round to my jaw.

I saw a guy post on here a couple of years ago about taking 1000mg of evening primrose daily to prevent sinusitis and I realised that I had been taking it for years for a completely different problem but that I couldn't remember having a sinus problem since. I used to get it every cold I had and for weeks afterwards. I'm not saying it's a cure but I recommend you try it as it's a bit of a coincidence.

When I was suffering with sinus pain my doctor, after several rounds of antibiotics, suggested I tried dissolving a few menthol crystals in boiling water and inhaling the vapour (be careful not to scald your nose). The relief was instant and when the pain came back I did it again until the pain stopped coming back.

• Posted

hi sarah i agree with miriam can never guess where the preasure pain will be but inhaling menthol crystals does work , i suffer around 4/5 times a year with sinus infections usually start around this time of the year ans i do have one as we speak , preasure around nose and eyes blocked nose , stinging feeling in nose when i breath in deep and that nasty smell up my nose like rotten rubber and also alot of nasal drip which i wake up with and have to spit in the loo , i started getting sinus problems from the age of 30 last 4 years iv been getting them now but aslong as i start home treatment as soon as i know the symptoms start it does relieve the worst of it , hops yours doesnt last too long and you find some relief x

• Posted

Try the evening primrose I suggested. It's cheap and good for you in many different ways. It isn't instant so you may need to take it for a few months before you notice a difference. I'd taken it for years for mastalgia (inflammation in breast tissue), it's actually prescribed for that so it must deal with inflammation elsewhere. I never even noticed I hadn't had a sinus problem since I'd been taking it until I read it on here.

• Posted

I finally stopped having tooth issues, so far it has lasted, related to sinus problems since I had FESS surgery on both of my maxillary sinuses. After trying so many remedies and rounds of oral antibiotics, imo almost useless when dealing with sinus issues, I had a CT scan which showed both of my maxillary sinuses completely blocked and infected. Nothing apart from surgery was going to remove the bone which was blocking those sinus openings.

That doesn't mean that I'm free from issues, due for another operation this afternoon on my ethmoid and frontal sinuses, but I can relate to the full ears, sometimes with pain, facial and ache in the forehead. Then again the upper part of my nose and around my eyebrows is not good. After the second CT scan I could see why...!

The intense pressure feeling around my nose and also a feeling of mucous being somewhere just beyond blowing is often apparent.

Over the years I have been aware of how sinus problems can relate to many issues of pain and discomfort, more so when they are infected.

I am trying dietary changes to increase my overall immune system to hope to improve things. I'm getting benefits that way. Although I reckon I'll be told to take more antibiotics after my OP today, ah well.

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.