Sinus Issues - Unsure if it's Post Nasal Drip or What.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello It's Arily, I'm 36 and have been suffering for awhile with some sinus issues. I'm unsure if it's a post nasal drip issue, allergies, or sinus infection. I have used a Doctor app on my phone (covered by insurance) to speak with a doctor however the app is sort of a band aide and they encourage a follow-up with a Doctor in person. I however do not have this convenience as I do not have the funds to be continuously going back and forth to the Doctor. As stated the Doctor app is 100% covered by insurance but Doctor visits are not.

So firstly the issues I am experiencing are:

Sneezing

Runny nose

Clogged nose

Clear HOT Mucus

Fluid in Ears

Sometimes a smell

Some post nasal dripping

I can see my adenoids in my nostrils, left side seems more visible.

Remedies I have tried:

Afrin nasal spray (I had became addicted, but was able to stopped taking it with a prescribed steroid from the Doctor app and haven't touched it since)

Flonase (Had side effect. Throbbing headache daily)

Claritin (Same side effect. Throbbing headache daily)

Allegra (Same side effect. Throbbing headache daily)

Zyrtec (I had thought this was working but as it turns out I think I was having a side effect that was making my condition worse. More info below)

Sudafed PE Sinus and Allergy (Worked before sort of, now because I've been taking it so long I do not get the relief like I used too)

Saline nasal spray (Isontonic Formula from the store and Hypotonic Formula made at home.)

With the Saline nasal spray I have attempted to shoot it up one nostril with head tilted for it to come out the other like a rinse, however it will go up the nostril and right back out the same one. Never have I been able to successfully go up one and out the other.

Day time issues vs Night time issues:

So during the day I have a lot of sneezing and runny nose. I'm constantly blowing my nose. I notice out in public my nose will run more so than when I'm at home however at home it's runny as well.

During the night. (I think this issue might have started by taking Zyrtec however since discontinuing taking it I'm still having the issue as described. However it was worse while taking Zyrtec) As soon as it starts getting late I can feel the left nostril begin to close. This is just sitting up regularly. As soon as I lay down for bedtime the left nostril will completely close off. Only the left each and every night. Sometimes during the night the right becomes clogged and the left opens but it always starts out with the left nostril. Because of this my sleeping is horrible. I am a nose breather all the way and because one nostril is completely blocked I'm constantly tossing and turning for relief. My usual method has been if the left is shut sleep on the right and if the right is shut sleep on the left...however this hasn't been helping recently. Also in the mornings I will have clear fluid in my ears, and my ears will itch really bad. I have to use cotton to soak up this fluid for relief but sometimes it drains all day long. So my thoughts are because of the blocked sinuses the excess mucus is draining into my ear canals.

I'm sure I have allergies (maybe combined with something else too), however all of the over-the-counter allergy reliefs have been giving me side effects to where I cannot take them anymore. At this point the only thing I continue to do is the Saline nasal spray and Sudafed but I'm still suffering daily and nightly. Because of the lack of sleep and stress of my condition I've been feeling sadden and a little depressed. I've been experiencing ice pike headaches on the right side on and just above my temple which has me worried. I always think brain aneurysm. I have three children and I just want to be here for them happy and healthy without suffering anymore.

If possible I'm looking for any and all advice. I do not mind purchasing inexpensive over-the-counter items if it will help, however I haven't had any luck with any so far.

Thank you for reading

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hey there is HOPE! New Treatment! Clarifix.

I've had this for over 3 years. been ruining my life. been tested for everything. I too thought I can't do it anymore.

my new ENT said I have Chronic Non Allergic Rhinitis or Vasomotor rhinitis The FDA just approved a treatment for it. http:// clarifix. com. take out spaces.

Basically the nerves in my nose are too sensitive and act like it is an allergy or infection.

this new treatment basically kills the nerve that sends the message to keep producing the mucus. I am so happy, after another CT scan she is going to give me the Treatment. Clarifix, out patient, they numb your nose and basically freeze the nerve. she said it will give me horrible brain freeze nut only for a few minutes. the whole thing only takes an hour.

I am so hopeful. so many of us suffering, I have not been able to work, go to the movies, sleep well. basically no life at all.

I have PTSD and take anxiety and antidepressants and have hypothyroidism. all of these could have caused the problems no one will no for sure. but once that nerve goes nuts it doesn't matter.

I have no zero affiliation with this company I've been searching for over 3 years. I hope to have mine done in April 2019 May at the latest. don't give up.

best wishes to us all. tell the other message boards, this is a new treatment

• Posted

Thank you for the information. I actually went to the ENT and he said my Turbinates are really huge. My nose is narrow and small and he couldn't even look up there because the Turbinates are very inflamed. I go back for a CT Scan April 18th and we'll see what happens after that. He did say there was a procedure to permanently shrink the Turbinates for relief, but he didn't get into to much detail because he wants me to get the CT Scan first. He did tell me also to use Nasacort instead of Flonase because Nasacort has no other additives like Flonase does and it has been better in the sense that I don't get headaches but it's not a perfect solution for taking down the inflammation in my Turbinates and I still struggle at night.

I will ask him about Clarifix, however I see it's not something available in my area but the next state over which I would not be able to travel for.

Thank you again for the Info I really appreciate it and well wishes on your upcoming treatment. Hope you find relief soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.