sinus rinses.....the good, the bad

Posted , 8 users are following.

Desperate to try anything to help with these stupid silent reflux symptons! Has anyone used a nasal rinse? Any feedback on brands to try / avoid gratefully received!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Suzeq

The normal sinus rinses are made of some low level sodium bicarbonate and a few other ingredients (ie Neil med). The post nasal drip and sinus inflammation is caused by aspirated Pepsin which can only be denatured in an environment above pH 8.0. I make Alkaline water using drops and the Neil Meds squeezy bottle to get it to the back of the nasal passages. It works for me... no PND and I can breath through both nostrils, something I had not done for years.

Regards JPT

• Posted

Hi JPT, just wanted to ask you a question. Do you just make the alkaline water for your squeezy bottle with boiled cooled water like you would the neilmed solution? Do you rinse twice a day? By the way, I would like to thank you for all of the helpful resources you have put on here. I have suffered for years not knowing what is wrong with me. I may not be better but at least now I understand better what's happening to me.
    • Posted

JPT I just stared doing what you suggested. I was wondering how long it took you to feel better. I'm feeling better but not quite over that hump.
  • Posted

Great - thanks JPT! I sent you a message earlier to ask for your notes- hope that's ok?

All this started back in Jan with blocked sinuses, and progressed onto silent reflux and now post nasal drip!

• Posted

Hi Suseq

I sent you an email with a link to my FB page called justpassingthrough which has all my notes its public so no one has to sign in.

Best JPT

• Posted

I use Neilmed and find it helps enormously with the post nasal drip and I can now sleep better at night without a stuffed up nose caused by gastric reflux.
  • Posted

Hi there. I tried a nasal rinse using the neti pot and could not get on with it. A syringe rinse worked better for me. But none of this is really getting to the root of the problem.  If it is caused by acid coming up you must deal with this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.