Sinus Tachycardia + Ischemic Cardio Hospital department won't see me

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I am really stressed out about this.  I told my doctor that I thought I had POTS, she measured my heart rate whilst I was sitting there and it was 98. She said it shouldn't be that high.  She said that a resting ECG had to be done first. I did it with no problems noted as we both expected.  However, that had to be done first for her to be able to ask for the hospital Cardiology department to see me.

I got a phone call booking me in at the hospital to receive a letter a few weeks later saying that the Cardiologist didn't want to see me.  He had then written to my doctor to say that it was just part of ME/CFS so he didn't want to see me.  My Doctor was not happy with that attitude.

My doctor then had a 24hr ECG monitor on me.  With those results she contacted the Cardiology department highlighting on my 24hr print out the number of Tachicardia moments and Ischemia times.  Again I got an appointment booked to see the Cardiologist.  Then a week later I received a letter from the Cardiologist saying he didn't want to see me. That yes I have Sinus Tachycardia but the Ischemia was just a "red-herring thing".  However, my doctor said that I'd even had Ischemic times in my sleep!

The Cardiologist had suggested Beta-Blockers.  My doctor doesn't want to use them because the side affect is lethergy - if I get that on top of how I feel due to M.E/CFS it's going to be hard to do anything.

Then I go and read that 20% of the deaths of ME/CFS sufferers died due to heart problems and that we should keep an eye on our hearts.

I feel so stressed and don't know what to do.  My doctor has referred my results back to the M.E. specialist department to see what their advice is.  I am so worried, I dare not my love to my hubby should my heart rate go too high.  I'm almost too afraid to do anything.

Any advice would be much appreciated.  JulieBadger

1 like, 20 replies


20 Replies

  • Posted

    Maybe it would be best to try to find another cardiologist? Are you near anyone who specialises in these problems?
    • Posted

      Hi Fidd,

      Unfortunately I don't think so. I live in Norfolk, UK, a bit remote.  Due to the ME/CFS I can't travel for more than 1hr per day without bad consequences which last for 3 days following the journey.

      I can have access to Bupa through my hubby's work system, which I have used once before.  I am thinking that route depending on what the ME clinic say to my results so far.

      Some of the Bupa consultants work at the hospital as well, so i don't want to pay the £200 Bupa excess to get exactly the same consultant who then again gives me the same reply.

      I had that last time. The Bupa consultant looking at my back basically told me I was too physically sensitve and that there was nothing wrong with my back.  I then a few months later went to the NHS hospital saying I did not want to see that same consultant and had Fibromyalgia confirmed.  I was so cross that the Consultant I'd seen through Bupa was a Fibromyaglia specialist and he hadn't recognised the very condition in me.

      Life is difficult with Me/CFS not only coping with the symptoms but with coping with the specialists too!


Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up