Sinuses vs anxiety

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I'm new here normally on the anxiety page,I've been very ill for 2 years now I have constant lightheaded/ balance problems 24/7,pain all over my body which is tender to touch,headaches,bunged up,nausea,funny vision in right eye,blocked right ear,pressure and tingling in that ear,wheezy,chesty oh I could go on,since May I've been really bunged up,no Nasel discharge just sound bunged up,last week I caught a nasty cold which isn't much better and my doctor has said she thinks I may have sinus infection and put me on anti bys which I'm starting today,my lightheaded ness has been so bad the past month I can hardly stand,I also have pain around my eyes,itchy neck pressure in my head and face and a chesty cough,now what I'm wondering is could this be sinus issues I've been struggling with for the past two years and not just anxiety as everyone keeps telling me, xxxx 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mango6

Firstly, try to ignore those people who put down you ills to 'anxiety' - not helpful when people diagnose for you.

You certainly have a range of symptoms and not all could solely (IMHO) be explained by just sinusitis.  That said sinus problems can explain a lot of your symptoms.

I have had more sinus episodes than I care to remember and currently I am coming out the other end of a bad does of flu/head cold.  Normally, I am blocked up for months on end after a cold or flu - this time its pouring out of me (better in than out) - the difference is I am on steroids (Prednisolone) - they were prescribed by my GP because for past year I have developed aches and pains allover my body and felt wiped following a good 8/9 hrs sleep. Also, my chest felt tight and never a good deep breath to be had - despite listening to my chest and x-ray it was all-clear but I still felt like crap.

I have to say that the steroids have made a difference - i am less (much some days) tight in chest and no aches/pains.

Down side is they lower your immune system some and this is maybe not the best time of year for it to be lowered.  Like you I was prescribed tons of antibiotics and whilst sometimes they helped - they never got rid of it.

These steriods are better than anything todate.

There is something called Polymyalgia Rheumatica

https://patient.info/health/polymyalgia-rheumatica-leaflet ;

Have a look and if it fits the bill - have a word with your GP - it might just be worth trying a course of Prednisolone to see the effects.

Apparently, in many cases, a temporary reboot your body needs to sort itself out.

Finger crossed.  I hope this helps some.

Jeff

• Posted

Thanks jeff,yes I tried the steroids when this all started polymyalgia was a possibility but they were no help to me,I don't doubt I have anxiety but there is something else going on,I've been tested for most things,heart,MRI,endoscopie,neurologist it was him that diagnosed anxiety and I'm now wondering if it's sinus related my lightheaded ness has stopped me doing everything for 2 years now I think if that would go I would be ok,what did they say was causing your  pains xx
    • Posted

Well - i was very sceptical whem PMR (polymyaligia) was touted as a possible cause and I am still not 100% certain it is PMR (I dont think their is a definitive test for it anyway) but after increased dose of the steriods and longer use it has def helped.

I was on a low dose to begin and it was tripled - that made the difference.

I had loads of bloods taken and at one point my thyroid level was borderline too low - and many of the symptoms of a low thyroid weree present in me - but subsequent follow up tests showed this low level corrected itself about 4 months after 1st blood test.  

Your bloods should be tested for thyroid irregularities and other common deficencies - I beleive low vit A/D can cause issues which present themselves.

Worth mentioning that the marker for what is low / borderline for one person could mean a definite 'should be treated' for that condition for another as no one person is the same.

Some conditions are really hard to nail down and diagnose accurately but if your doctor is worth his salt then he/she should perserve with you and give you hope that you will conquer what ails you.

Wish you luck and keep me updated.  If I have a lights on euruka moment I will share.

Last thing, although I was not overly keen on doing it - the Nells Med - nasal rinse bottle - helped me a worst points of sinus troubles.

Jeff 

• Posted

Thanks again funnily enough o purchased that 5 minutes ago,take care x ps I've had lots of bloods done and they never show anything x 
  • Posted

Hi Mango 6, my natural health practitioner put me on a good probiotic and Caprylic Acid. The theory is that the bodies immune system is run from the stomach and if your feeding yourself sugary/high carb diet then your whole system is out of whack. After I went on a low carb/no sugar diet and started taking the enzyme serrapetase, I started getting immediate relief from my constant sinus infections and cough. A good video is on youtube on enzymes/serrapeptase (google it)  and how amazing it can be for sinus problems. The thing I also noticed was that once the sinus problems started going away, my brain felt clearer... Good luck
  • Posted

Seriously...........Naproxen or Ibuprophen, I tell everyone, its the only thing that seems to help
    • Posted

PS...I tried everything everyone else has tried, its my sinuses and they are inflammed, and nothing they can do, so again try naproxen and Ibuprophen, it releives pressure,  I also had/have the same as u, some days I can barely walk
  • Posted

So I'm into week 6 of this with no let up,I still can't walk,headache,pain in face and nose,blocked ringing ear,nasal drip,feel sick,sore heavy eyes and head,cough wheezy,been back to doc who has referred me to ent again I'm using sterimar 3 times a day and stopped the steroid spray,does this sound like sinus problems,when I try to walk my legs are so weak and uncoordinated,sick of it xxxx 
    • Posted

Hey Mango...........I could barely walk for 9 months, I have the same symptoms as you, mine strated Oct. 2013 and I still have it, I started to finally get around in May 2014, knock on wood the aches and pains, I always say as if I had a flu everyday, have almost disapeared.....hope I never jined myself. My head pressure is still there, mines in the middle of my head and throbs which creates dizzy everyday...EVERYDAY amd still as I sit here, its the crap i tell u !!! I say the same as u "sick of it " so so sad to live this way sad but as mentioned above try the 600 ibuprophen, I tell ya every 4-6 hours let me know how it works for u, should start in say 2 days
    • Posted

Hi do you suffer anxiety also,my doc says as much as she thinks I have sinus issues it more anxiety,did you really feel feel lightheaded dizzy everyday just walking to the kitchen is awful now it's not to bad if I sit down but the minute I stand up it's there 24/7 xxx 
    • Posted

Hey Mango6....Well..............I think Chronic Sinusitis can give u anxiety do to the fact that we are sick of being sick, my doc also put me on antidepressants, which in my eyes think is stupid I tried it and I felt worse, my anxiety was making it hard to breath because I was struggling to breath, who wouldnt have anxiety, its scary stuff, they tested me for everything, even asthma due to not being able to breath, but no asthma, which is good. I beleive when one gets this Chronic SS the patterns are different, and different with everyone, my thoughts. But the light headed sounds as thow your sinues are inflammed and dizzy goes along with it because they swell the tubes that lead to your ears which creates dizziness, this is what happens to me, I still take a anti inflammatory daily, but today I took tylenol as my nose bleeds from anti inflammatory, I tell u try it, as soon as u wake, let me know how it turns out, I feel better, kinda I can function and I have been doctoring myself now for prob 6 months
  • Posted

Hey Mango6! you have a lot of symptons i have and I would like to talk to you about them! but idk how to message people. Could someone explain?
  • Posted

There has to be a link. Every time I have anxiety my sinuses come into play. A few weeks ago my nose started running but the texture was different (maybe puss). Immediately I started feeling a small panic attack. Last week my sinuses were killing me, it caused me to be anxious yet again. Hard to talk to people or feel motivated. Felt almost like I had too much caffeine. I don't know where to go from here.....it's affecting my life and I will not go on an SSRI med.

• Posted

Boy, reading this thread makes me feel better I'm not alone.  Just got over a sinus infection after Xmas but my sinus/head pressure is still terrible, yet no drainage at all.  My ears are ringing all the time and when the pressure is really bad I get dizzy and anxiety attacks.  Same here, every time my sinuses are really bad I get anxiety attacks.  I try nasal decongestants, neti pot, advil, and my Flonase.  Nothing seems to get up in my skull and knock it out.  I get temporary relief diffusing oil of oregano and eucalyptus.  My doc suggested I give prednisone a trying and considering as I'm so sick of feeling this way. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.