Sinusitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

My sinus infections started about 23 years ago. Ten years ago they started getting worse and worse. I was going to my GP for them, but they were so frequent and rebounded so much he sent me to an allergist.

After allergy testing, I found out that I am allergic to everything environmental.

I am a happy, hard working person till a sinus infection hits.

Usually, my first sign is fatigue and horrible body aches...then I roll my eyes and say "not again." I go from my happy, can work 15 hour days, self to this person that doesn't even have enough energy to go to the fridge to get water. My body hurts so bad that I feel like a train has hit me, my post nasal drip gets so bad it makes me sick on my stomach and I start throwing it up, my throat gets so sore that when I breath it feels like I am swallowing razor blades.

Fluid has back up behind my ear drums to the point that both of them has burst twice. (because I have Eustachian tube dysfunction.) My allergist sent me to the ENT and he told me that my sinus structure is great, that I am just a small person so I am more prone to get blockages. He did put tubes in my ears, which stopped by eardrums from bursting. But of course, knowing my luck, my permanent tubes that are supposed to last 5 to 10 years comes out after 18 months. I get them replaced around 5 times, until they both get stuck coming out and they basically had to rip them out of my eardrum the last time. It has been 7 months since that happened and my eardrums are still not completely healed and now I have scar tissue on them.

Back to the allergist, where I get two allergy shots every 1-2 weeks, on two different allergy medications and a nasal spray.

Since Valentine's Day of this year, I have had 3 sinus infections. And everytime I get a sinus infection, I get a cocktail of 3 weeks of antibiotics and 7 to 14 days of steroids.

I have tried every allergy medication, every nasal spray, hot showers, the salt rinse, and nothing helps.

Becky, I feel your pain because I go from this energetic person to being almost bedridden for 3-5 days every time a sinus infection hits. it is depressing and frustrating.

I can take Vitamin C to help my immune system, but a lot of the other OTC medications have ingredients that I am allergic to.

Does anyone have any suggestions??? Please help, I don't know what to do next.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi. it truly is awful, its like having the worst cold ever everyday. similar story. have you had a ct scan of the sinuses? enlarged turbinates and deviated septum found on mine after 2 years of your symptons. awaiting op to correct. you need a ct scan when everything else has failed. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.