Sister has had blood transfusion for anaemia, has itching.

Posted , 3 users are following.

My sister has just had a blood tranfusion for anaemia and has been taking strong iron tablets since having it. They think problems in her gut are stopping her from absorbing iron naturally. However I have read that itching can be caused both by a transfusion and taking iron tablets as an allergic reaction. Should she stop taking the tablets and are there any other ways of absorbing iron (considering that her gut might be stopping its natural absorption) that might avoid this?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'm not a doctor, but have you heard of/looked into pernicious anemia?

Also, after taking a concoction of vitamins prescribed to me previously for a few days, my body started feeling really itchy, which I found out was because my liver couldn't get rid of the toxins fast enough. I'm not trying to worry you, but I would suggest phoning the doctors to ask about this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.