Sitting in the trauma unit trying to get surgery on my ankle while broke and three different places

Posted , 9 users are following.

Sitting and the trauma unit trying to get surgery on my ankle where I broke it in three different places the trauma doctor said he couldn't operate because my ankle was too swollen. And when they took x-rays on my ankle he said it was really bad I really need to get back to work cuz I'm the only provider for my family!!

And I read these others who have the same situation they said they had to go back to surgery twice!! (Really twice) other posts was saying it takes 4 to 8 weeks!! But one of my doctor said he said it's really really bad!!!I don't know what that means but I just wondering what's my time window on this ankle? With the three breaks!! It's a really bad time for this accident happened to me right now. I don't know what I'm going to do about income!!!!! I do have a job but I didn't have nothing saved up for situation like this!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I broke my ankle this month(trimalleolar fracture) and I am having to wait 10 days till my surgery due to the swelling. The only reason they operate within 24 hours is if the bone is sticking out of the skin. Maybe if your job is at a desk, you can get to work much quicker, as long as you don't put any weight on it. Good luck!

• Posted

Unfortunately I work construction I don't work at a desk!!! And you have to wait 10 days before surgery I'm assuming because it was still swollen right ?? They was trying to tell me Wednesday which is tomorrow maybe having surgery!!!! I sure hope so!!Be cuz I got sharp pains are really really painful!!!

Thank you for the feedback!!

• Posted

I regret to say that you are looking at perhaps three months minimum depending on the severity of the damage and that is if everything goes well.

Good luck Richard

• Posted

Sorry to say but ankles are a long slow process. I had a fusion tibial naiking and bone graft March 21st. Still in aircast boot. Not able to weight bear out of boot. Looking at July before I get out of the boot. If you are in construction I would look now at any financial support you can get. I dont think it eill he quick. You need to prepare yourself mentally and financially as much ads possible. Good luck x
  • Posted

I broke mine in three places as well on April 9th, because of swelling, I didn’t have surgery until the 17th., with plates and pins. As of right now, I am in Therapy 3 times a week to get range of motion back and have started light weight bearing with a walker or crutches.  I am expecting about 3-4 more weeks before I will be walking independently.  As others have said, ankle injuries take the longest to heal and it can be frustrating when you have to be back at work or have to take care of a family. Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery 
    • Posted

Thank you for your feedback!!! Yes it's really frustrating for me I don't like laying in bed for long periods of time and the trauma doctor just came in this morning to surgery it's on for tomorrow and hopefully I'll be back to work by September hopefully it was saying ankle healing process is from 4 to 12 weeks my doctor told me 4 to 5 months

• Posted

I truly feel your pain. I broke mine in 3 places last year February. We too were crunched for money and unprepared. We are still paying the bills from it even though we have insurance. I had to have 2 surgeries because they had to stabilize the ankle until I could have the surgery 2 weeks later and I was on vacation in another state. the airlines wouldn't let me on the plane for legalities for a further 3 weeks and then I had to buy additional plane tickets because my original ones expired, what a joke it was. Anyway, the first surgery they drilled an external fixation on my leg so I had bars sticking out of my leg for a couple weeks. 2 weeks later they removed those and did the actual surgery with a plate and 10 screws. I was not allowed to put weight on it at all for 10 weeks. If you do you may have to go back in and repeat the surgery so even though you are incredibly frustrated and stressed out you have to listen and protect your ankle from further damage by staying off of it and being careful. If you are crunched financially now then wait and see how bad it can get if you have to go back in again to repair it further. Take a deep breath and go with the situation because you can't change it now you can only deal with it. God Bless and know that next year at this time you will be back to normal.

• Posted

If you broke 3 bones in the ankle it is a trimalleolar fracture, and that really stinks! I'm so sorry. I had two surgeries in April. The first was an external fixator to reduce swelling and then the actual ORIF surgery on the 10th. (My birthday...worst present ever!😂😂wink

This is one of those things that there is just no rushing. If you walk on it too soon you can do some real damage for your long term. I am 9 weeks in and still no weight bearing. I'm basically going nuts. I am hoping for good news next week.

Anyway, please site to your doctor and I really hope it all goes as good as it can for you. Keep us updated!

Jenn

• Posted

Listen to your doctor, not site! Lol
    • Posted

jennifer85262 Thank you very much for the feedback!!!! These nursing staff and doctors are really awesome I got no worries and hopefully I don't have to go back for a second surgery!!!

And I hope you a better recovery for the rest of your healing process I know you got 9 weeks but it's all uphill now thank you again you are awesome!!😁😀

• Posted

If you need syndesmosis insist and/or beg for your surgeon to do syndesmosis utilizing “tightrope fixation” NOT pounding a big screw through your tibia and fibula. Google “tightrope fixation” as the recovery is quicker....I had surgery April 6th (ORIF surgery with 2 plates, 8 screws and a tightrope fixation). June 15 th will be ten weeks post op and I am full weight bearing (I do wear an ankle support).  I am 56 years old and I anticipate I’ll be walking my large dogs again at the end of the month (with ankle support -no boot). Utilize this time to do your research...Praying for you!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.