Sitting on floor

Posted , 7 users are following.

may seem silly but how long till you can sit in floor after op

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

I was thinking about the same thing occasionally.

I am now about 6 weeks post OP and there is no way that I even would attempt to try it yet.

Don't think I'll be able to get up again.

Be good to hear from others after how long after the OP they'd tried it.

Petra

• Posted

Ask your physio. They showed me how to get down onto the floor to do shoulder bridge at 2 weeks post op because I asked. But you need to be fit enough and be shown how to do it safely.

Best Wishes

Ann

• Posted

Be careful about rushing to do that. Getting down on the floor is easier than getting up.

• Posted

I asked my physiotherapist how to safely get down on the floor and back up at 8 weeks post op. I really wanted to be able to lie on the floor while watching TV so that I could stretch out my back. The physiotherapist didn't know how to do that, but we worked on it together and I finally found a way to do it that was comfortable for me.

Have something to the side of you that you can hold onto, like a coffee table (at home) or a bar (at the gym). Place your operated behind you and your hand on the coffee table. Doing a golfer's reach, go down to the floor with your other hand (operated leg straight behind you). Once stabilized, with your other leg lower your knee onto the ground, keeping your operated leg straight behind you.

Slowly roll to the side and around until you are sitting on the floor, keeping your operated leg straight (now in front of you and your legs separated). My operated leg is on the right side, so I roll to the right.

To get back up, reverse the steps (roll to the left in my case) keeping operated leg out straight, and other knee on the ground. Hold onto the coffee table or bar to help push you to a standing position. Just keep in mind the 90 degree rule.

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

I asked this question myself, you will get a lot of different answers, from those who rush to do everything in a couple of weeks to people like me, who take time because of fear of damaging the hip. I was about 12 weeks when I sat on the floor, I slipped down from the settee, it is easier to get back on using you elbows to bring yourself back up.

• Posted

I do think some of these people who say they have a hip op, then go home on the bus and cook dinner may be exaggerating a bit.

• Posted

ptolomey, we all progress at different rates. I learned early on not to compare myself to others, just to hopefully see some progress week to week (not day to day for me). There will be some who breeze through surgery and get on with their lives. There will be others who struggle in their progression, but are still moving in the right direction.

At 3 months I was getting discouraged because I had pain in my thigh whenever I walked. At 4 months it disappeared. Now at 6 months I feel I am ALMOST back to normal. But I know there will be continued healing going on for several more months (I had a lateral posterior approach).

Don't get discouraged. Do what your body tells you is okay for you. I found that pushing myself too hard usually set me back instead of moving me forward

• Posted

I was actually very lucky. I really had virtually no pain after, although the morphine made me very sick. I was scared stiff about managing at home, my sister came to stay for a few days and I left my crutches at the front door and never used them again. My sister decided to take me out to lunch the day after I got home, which was probably a bit overdoing it. She had no idea about hips and seemed to think that everything was fine once you were home, perhaps that made me just carry on as normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.