Sitting on the Floor

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone tried to or sat on the floor? On wednesday it will be week ten since my thr, up to now I can only comb my dog on top and sides, I would like to get on the floor and give her a good comb out.

I feel it would be easy to slide on to the floor from the sofa but getting up will be the problem, any ideas as to the best way to get up. I want to be very careful as I do not want to damage the hip, still on precautions.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

• Posted

My second hip replacement was about ten weeks ago and the other one ten months. I can get down onto the floor to do exercises. Getting up, I roll over onto my side and then get up on hands and knees. I need to use furniture to help push myself up. It is not a pretty sight!

• Posted

Thank you anne, I feel I need to start returning to normal life now, well as much as possible.
  • Posted

Hi. I've just had my 2nd hip done. First was 2 years ago. At 12 weeks I went back to work with young children. Some of that was on the floor. 

As above I used to get up on my hands and knees. Take yr time at first. Listen to yr body and think about restrictions. As you get stronger and restrictions are lifted you can practice squats.  ( not deep). Then 1 leg squats. They'll help you up off the floor down the track. Are you having physio?

• Posted

Not been given any physio, was seen by them at six weeks told I was doing okay and as I was sensible to carry on walking. The young girl then 'signed me off'

• Posted

Is your incision anterior or posterior? From what I'm hearing where your incision is makes a big difference.

I am 6 weeks out and mine is anterior. I have been sitting in the bathtub for 2 weeks and have no problem getting up and out. I have also been down on one knee to put fresh bedding in the dog's bed with no issues.

I would suggest that you call your surgeon's office and follow whatever they say. Each person is different and our bodies heal differently. Good luck, and I wish you a full recovery.

• Posted

Sadly deborah, I am a postetior therefore stuck with precautions, I am thankful we had a walk in shower installed last year.
  • Posted

I was given kneeling and standing exercises 2 weeks post op after posterior LTHR by the physio at the hospital. I asked how to lie on the floor to do the shoulder bridge exercise and was told to kneel then roll onto my non operated side to get down safely then reverse the procedure to get back up. I used a chair to help with kneeling to standing but I would ask a physio to show you if you can. I also did squats in the pool and at the gym to strengthen my thigh muscles. I also started Pilates at the physio dept of the hospital where I had my op 6 weeks post op and found that very helpful. Good luck

Ann

• Posted

Anniepaint, it sounds like you had the anterior, I am amazed you were doing shoulder bridge at 2 weeks, along with everthing else you were doing. I had posterior and cannot do anything like that yet. I have done pilates for years and am missing my exercises. I will get back on my elliptical walker this week. I have been held back as I developed blood clots in the lung between week 7 and 8, so I need to go slower than I intended. Congratulations on such a great recovery.
    • Posted

No I definitely had posterior. I had done a lot of modified exercise beforehand. I was under physio supervision and they ran a hip school at the hospital. They said it was more usual to do hip school at 4 weeks but I had done a lot of exercise prior to surgery so I able to do the full range of exercises at 2 weeks. Everyone is different. Some surgeons and physios are challenging the restrictions but it depends on so many factors. Just seek help and supervision. 

Good luck

Ann

• Posted

At 61 I was fit and healthy prior to hip op, I exercised virtually every day, walked the dog and cook all my food from scratch and I have still got blood clots in the lungs doh!
    • Posted

Was that post op Jen? Were you on anti coagulants? Very unlucky whatever the reason. 

Regards 

Ann

• Posted

Sorry just read your previous post and see you were  at week 7/8 when you developed the clots. That must be very difficult for you. I am the same age as you too. Best wishes for your recovery 

Ann

• Posted

If your surgical approach was posterior, you cannot get up or down while observing the 90° rule and could risk dislocation.

• Posted

Sorry...oops....I missed that you were 10 weeks PO. If your doc has lifted that restriction, go for it. Maybe place a sturdy chair close to where you are going to be to push yourself up on?

Im 9 weeks and still will not attempt getting on the floor. Im scared of wrecking something.

Good luck and happy grooming!

• Posted

This is the problem yabut, the 90° rule. I am very jealous of the anterior hippies, they are so lucky not to have all the restrictions.

• Posted

On the other hand anterior seems to have more chance of nerve damage, so six weeks with some restrictions seems a small price to pay. 
    • Posted

Six weeks ptolemy? ours are 3 months precautions and the doctor I saw at 6 weeks said a further 6 months of being careful before they consider you safe.
    • Posted

Where is your Dr. located?

My surgeon is in Columbus, Ohio and performs hundreds of hip replacements each year. My GP even chose this guy to do his surgery.

• Posted

The physios instructed me how to get down on the floor and it didn’t break the restrictions. You  have to be careful and fit enough but it can be done safely.  I must admit I was surprised at how much I could do. Having the hip school and then Pilates classes at the physio dept was great to build confidence. I would never have done as much as I have without their help and support. 

Cheers

Ann

• Posted

I spoke with a surgeon who does posterior and not anterior. He said that by six weeks, both types of surgery are equal. That, to me, would mean that restrictions would be lifted.
    • Posted

I suppose being careful is sensible, some people are told never to cross their legs ever again. Also doctors seem to be ultimately careful. I was told I could do what I wanted after four weeks including touching my toes! I had a lateral posterior approach. This was told me by the physios. 
    • Posted

Wow, I had both hips done on January 28th and I cross my legs!  I have not had any problems with that.
    • Posted

I am in wales in the uk. The little local hospital I was sent to is around 100 years old and has seen better days. I think you would think it is very primitive compared to where you were operated on. This was my first venture with the medical profession, I was not aware we could choose where to have the operation.
    • Posted

It sounds as if they are very protective and that isn't all bad.

I go for my 6 week checkup, tomorrow. I was told I could ride my motorcycle at 4 weeks, and I have yet to try. I am giving serious thought to riding it the 65 miles to the surgeon's office tomorrow.

• Posted

When I went for the consultation in february, the surgeon said I would not be able to cross my legs, cut my toe nails or put my socks on again. The only thing he said would be different, I would be out of pain, well he was right there I have not had any pain since op.
    • Posted

What on earth would a person living alone do... I do everything you mentioned.

The rule I use is if it hurts, don't push it. Otherwise, I'm going to do it. smile

• Posted

Hi Jen, the hospital I went to is an old TB hospital so lots of buildings on one floor, all higgledy, piggledy. No A&E. It was lovely, with beautiful gardens. When I went for the op I was wheeled along outside to the theatre. They are going to knock it down and build a modern monstrosity sadly. 

• Posted

Good luck tomorrow if you decide to bike it to your check up, I think you are very brave to even consider it.
    • Posted

Hi Jen, I lived in Wales and was born there, what hospital were you at?
    • Posted

What??? Im doing my own toes NOW at 9 weeks. Funny how there are so many different directives with this op eh?
    • Posted

The little hospitals are so much friendlier. The hospital I went to according to the surgeon should have been demolished 30 years ago, he said they all like working there though it only has orthopedics and eyes the main hospital closeby.
    • Posted

Hi Jen

Mine only had orthopaedics and paediatrics. Where is your hospital? 

• Posted

Sorry you told me the hospital, my mind is going. I was born and bred in South Wales!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.