Six days post gallbladder removal; upper right pain while eating

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, 

I could use your advice. I had my gb removed 6 days ago (no stones, had HiDA at 95% ejection fraction and per surgeon, my gb was inflamed and had adhesions). I have been slowly recovering, but as of yesterday, I have the diarrhea urgency every time I eat plus this morning, I woke up hurting upper right side. The pain got worse as I started eating. Any thoughts on what this pain could be?

i have another week until my post op appointment.

thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi right now your healing . You have internal stitches etc.... I had upper right pain on and off for about 5 /6 weeks. If I laid on my left side it eased. A simple anti acid tablet eased it as well. And I took paracetamols.

Youve been cut and have stitches and when you eat bile is ordered from your liver to go into your stomach directly now no longer via the gallbladder. That's all sore and is having to work and heal . Give it time and don't panic that your one of the unfortunate ones that is left with pain.   Give it time . 

I get the odd twinge now 4 months later but it's when I eat rich fatty food or caffeine. Why I am not sure but those foods obviously irritate something... So I avoid them and I seem ok. 

Remember just because you only have tiny incisions to look at doesn't mean you haven't got internal stitches and healing going on. So no lifting ..hope it settles down soon ...

• Posted

Hi there. Im having the same issues two weeks post op but things have eased a little. I too had inflammation and adhesions but also had gallstones. It has been also suggested that i could have some 'sludge' left in the duct and this could be causing the pains. I'm off to the gp this week to get their advice as the surgeon had few suggestions as to what it could be or how to manage it. Hope things improve soon and I'll pass on anything useful.
  • Posted

You had your operation the same day as me Thebigboo.  I had adhesions etc. Am experiencing exactly the same problem. You must be feeling weak?  If Flowersgirl could give feedback from the doctor that would be so helpful and kind.  Get plenty of rest and drink lots of water.  I understand how you feel.
    • Posted

Hi there,

unfortunately the medical advice I've been given hasn't been the most helpful. Generally they've said it could be inflammation or the adhesions or sludge or ibs or something unidentifiable that may never resolve! I get days where its ok but others where I'm in constant pain. Can't figure what it is as yet but have been referred for an mri (even if the surgeon doesnt think anything will be found).

• Posted

The MRI should be more conclusive.   Hopefully they will find out what's causing this misery and get it sorted out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.