Six months after TKR and ROM still only 80%

Posted , 12 users are following.

Good morning all. I haven't posted on here for a few weeks now so thought I'd share where I am six months after my TKR. I've encountered problems with stiffness and ability to bend my new knee fully since the operation. I had to go into hospital a few weeks ago for a manual manipulation under local anaesthetic. This temporarily improved the movement to 95% but of course when I went home from hospital the situation couldn't be sustained. I do exercises every day, focusing mainly on bending the knee as much as I can. I can walk fair distances but still have difficulty with stairs and getting in and out of cars as a passenger (driving isn't a problem). The knee does swell occasionally and still feels very tight at times. I'm still taking co-codamol and naproxen now and again, the latter for my back problems and arthritis in the other knee! I just wondered what others might think about where I should be six months after my TKR? I don't see my surgeon again until mid-January and have just started a course of hydrotherapy. Cheers!

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Dode,  your knee problem sounds just like mine, I am 8 1/2 months post op and had a MUA 6 weeks post op, my ROM is still only 80% and I exercise at the gym 3 times a week and do Hydroptherpy for an hour 3 times a week, nothing is shiftin the stiffness, I also have Physio once a week, nothing helps, I take Panadol osteo 3 times a day for the pain in my  right hip and lower back and also my right knee.

I saw my surgeon 6 months post op, so 2 months ago and he said there was nothing else he could do for me, just that I had to give it another 12 months to 2 years !

as you know it is very frustrating and painful. And very little we can do to eliviate the problem, I am at my wits end and fed up with the whole thing, if I'd known this was even a possibility I would never have had the op, there is no chance of me having my right knee done ☹️

I would love to keep in touch to see if either of us have any further developments, you are the only person I have met with the same problem as me.

hope things turn soon for the both of us, keep you chin up 🤗

• Posted

Hi Linda. I am sorry to hear you are suffering similar problems with your knee. My ROM has slowly improved and the new knee is strong, as I said walking isn't a problem. I'm seeing my surgeon again in five weeks time but will keep going and won't give in! Again like you, my other knee is giving me pain as the arthritis gets worse and to compound things I've spondylosis in my lower lumbar area which occasionally flares up. Keep positive Linda and let me know how things go for you over the next few months. If I can get to 90% ROM I'll settle for that but as for the other knee, too early to tell! Best wishes
  • Posted

Hi, I was reading your posts from a couple of months ago about the problems you were having with the stiffness and bending of your knee. I was wondering if your ROM had improved since your last update. 

I'm about 22 weeks post op and also had MUA with the same problems. I went for my hospital check up in January and he said he would see me in 6 months. 

My leg is a lot stronger but the ROM is just under 80 deg. I'm still doing all the exercises but can only do half turns on a static bike.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.