Six out of seven had side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was speaking to someone today who is attending cardio rehab. At the later discussion they wre asked if they were having side effects to any of their meds. Six out of the seven put their hands up. Yet so many cardiologists and GP's don't take such complaints seriously.  

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Do you think it's because the benefits outweigh the side effects, and also maybe they don't have any alternatives to offer.

I have no idea what the solution is, I do think statins cause massive side effects but no one has any answers and there's millions on them, how did they manage before they had them .

• Posted

I managed to get a referral to a Hypertension Centre last year. I had a lot of tests and scans looking for a reason for my labile BP without anything being found.  I was told at the initial consultation that there are familes of drugs that I have not yet had but they haveso far left me on Losartan.

I stopped Statins because if muscle pain and Warfarin (back to aspirin) due to joint pain. Amiodarone gave me a tremble, floaters in my eyes and hastened my cataract surgery.  It also caused problems with my balance. Last month I developed an eye problem that is probably  Non-Arteritic” Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy (NAAION) that can be caused by Amiodarone (although it is about a year since last taking it) sudden drops in BP when asleep caused by BP meds.

Quote:

It is believed that a drop in blood pressure at night while we sleep is an important precipitating factor for the development of a NAAION. Seventy five percent of patients with NAAION report the vision loss upon waking in the morning leading researchers to believe that some ischemia must be occurring during sleep. This is not believed to be the only cause, but when accompanied by one or more of the systemic risk factors listed above, it plays an important role in the development and/or the progression of the vision loss. It is theorized that new highly potent anti-hypertensive drugs may reduce blood pressure too low at night and thus increase the risk of AION"

The cards are stacked aginst us.

• Posted

They had strokes and many more died. The latest research suggests [in UK - this is a UK website - that statins reduce risk by some 25%. 

I have taken statins for years without any side effects.  As another says the individual patient has to balance the benefit against any side effects

• Posted

Can you post a link or PM me a link to that surprising evidence.

• Posted

Ah yes - I'll try!  Later.  I am in UK and it is 1133 time for bed
    • Posted

Ah - it has been moderated!   search  "mail online" "statins" may 23

And it's 30%!  If over 70.

I'm certainly convinced.  The Daily Mail is - however - not revered by my GP

• Posted

Even better for me in that case as I'm 80.

The Nurse at the practice I go to buys the Mail on Tuesdays as patients come in quoting it's health articles. My GP is prone to say 'That sounds like a D.M. story' He of course takes statins and still runs marathins.

• Posted

I was prescribed Statins four years ago by a Professor at Imperial College when he diagnosed that I had aortic stenosis. They soon gave me muscle pains and I stopped/started them several times over the next eighteen months before swearing never to go back on them. Although I had aortic stenosis an angiogram showed my arteries to be clear.

The Article:

Millions of pensioners should routinely take statins to enable them to live longer, healthier lives, researchers claim.

A study has found that the cholesterol-lowering drugs reduce the risk of strokes by a third among the over-70s.

Experts say the drugs should be offered to this age group even if they are fit and well and have not previously suffered strokes or heart problems.

Currently, statins are not widely prescribed to patients over 70 as there is very little evidence as to whether they are effective, or even safe.

But the French researchers whose findings are published in the BMJ say routinely offering them to this age group could have an ‘important effect’ on public health.

Their study adds to evidence that statins should routinely be given to relatively healthy adults to prevent long-term illness and disability, and save lives.

At present, at least five million Britons take the drugs, which cost around 3p a day and work by preventing the build-up of cholesterol in the arteries, leading to heart attacks and strokes"

We need of course to ask who were the researchers and who did they work for?

Last summer, however, the NHS watchdog Nice said they should be prescribed to a total of 17 million adults – 40 per cent of the population – as they could save up to 2,000 lives a year.

But a number of leading doctors and academics worry this will lead to the population becoming ‘medicalised’, and there are also concerns over their long-term side effects which include type 2 diabetes and muscular pain.

**The exact benefits and risks of statins in the elderly are not clear as they do not normally take part in drug trials.** 

Researchers looked at 7,484 men and women, whose average age was 74, living in three cities in France - Bordeaux, Dijon and Montpellier.

They followed them for nine years, during which time 2,048 used a statin or a similar cholesterol-lowering drug called fibrates.

Over this period, 732 of the patients had a heart attack or stroke. From this group, 205 people died.

• Posted

I must search this one out:

"The U.S. government is poised to withdraw longstanding warnings about cholesterol " -- The Washington Post : 11th February 2015...

• Posted

During the last three years I have reacted to just about every group of blood pressure drugs. Most of them have made me feel worse than before I took them and three of them had me poised to call for a lights and music run to A&E. Finding the most suitable drugs or combinations of drugs is a matter of trial and error helped by the experience of the doctors concerned but everyone is different and that is the problem. Another problem is that while the same drug from different manufacturers will contain a similar quantity of the "active' drug the other ingredients can/will differ. For instance, I have been OK with the branded version of one drug but not to the generic version yet with another I reacted to the branded version but not the generic one. I gather all the commonly used hypersion drug have been in use for many years so not protected by patents while there is not sufficient money in "our" particular sector for it to be worth the pharaceutical companies spending vast sums of money producing new drugs.
    • Posted

Like you I have had reactions to most drugs prescribed. Many years ago a GP adivised me to always go to the same pharmacy and I would get the same brand each time. That no longer applies and on ocasion I have had two packs from different makers on the same prescription. One time even one pack of tablets and one of capsules.

I now never wonder why my BP varies from month to month.

I did once complain to the MHRA and they asked for samples but replied that each brand was within its specification. Very often as you say it is the binding and other additives that causes the reaction rather than the drug. 

When I was taking Securon SR the modified release version of Verapamil I was all right with it but not with any other version.

The person who told me the Six out of Seven story is so sensitive that he came out in an all over reaction from the pre surgery wash he had to use prior to his heart surgery and his operation had to be cancelled.

• Posted

High blood pressure can be so detrimental to long-term health that many of the side effects of current medications are considered acceptable.

Clearly, GP's will alter medications to try and find a plan that affords you the most effective approach to reducing blood pressure while also allowing you to carry on your normal day to day activities with as few side effects as possible. However, ultimately, blood pressure reduction takes priority over potential side effects. They do not offer a cure, they are trying to manage our health to prevent us falling victim to the long term effects of continuous high blood pressure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.