Six Week Follow up

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone,

It's 6 weeks tomorrow that I had a R Scarf Akin Osteotomy and today I can share my joy with you.

I saw the Registrar after having an Xray and he seemed very pleased to tell me the foot has healed and that's it, I can get back to normal and dont need to see him again

I did have a few questions to ask, but had not expected that this appointment would be the end of it. So I forgot to ask whether I can drive again now.

On the instruction sheet of what to expect, it says you can drive again at Week 8, but if I have been discharged and my foot feel right, have any of you started to drive at Week 6 or 7?

The wound has closed up now but hasnt completed the scarring. I have been using Bio Oil but wonder if that really makes any difference to using any moisturiser?

Please let me know what your experience has been with these things.

Cant quite believe its almost over. Well I expect walking again in my sandals will not be pain-free, but its fantastic that I can wear 2 again and get back my life

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Great post Dot! I will be 6 weeks this Wednesday but have to wait until 27th august to have my X-Ray & hopefully ditch the sexy shoes,  as my surgeon is on holiday. It's so good to hear that you are well & can get back to normal. Iv been having a difficult time with this sitting around but I know the light is near, I'm so tempted to put my feet to the floor but as I have been so good & know I should just wait another 9 days to make sure that I have healed, need to be patient for a little longer. Now you've mentioned about not asking questions I will prepare myself. I can't wait to drive & get back my independance. Enjoy your pretty feet & wishing you a full recovery. Best wishes from my little sofa den that I have spent nearly 6 weeks in - so hoping I have a good result next week & get some life back x
    • Posted

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your lovely response.

It occurred to me this morning, that maybe the honeymoon period is over and now I am back on two pins again, there 'may be trouble ahead!'

I did some weight bearing on the foot while I was having a shower, though I would sit down most of the time. I guess these last few days I probably didnt wear the boot to answer the phone, but in a way its a wee bit of an anticlimax, so dont be too impatient. I find and its not even a day of being 'normal' again that the routine of lounging on the sofa has become so ingrained that I shall probably keep it going whenever I am not doing something. I didnt have much pain at all, just niggles now and then, now I think that my foot is having to accommodate so it probably will complain a bit. Still as I am assured it has healed I will just assume that it is settling itself.

Good luck for 27th. There definitely is light at the end of the tunnel and it wasnt all that dark was it? We have had lovely weather which helpe a lot.

Go well

Dot

• Posted

Ps - I have been using bio oil & my scars are healing really well 
  • Posted

Excellent news dot are you in England? I had my op on 1st June and haven't driven yet the consultant said it was a conscience call as it is your braking foot! He also said don't drive until you have informed your insurance company otherwise they will claim that you have withheld info. I will try this week to gain my independence and drive. My    Scar is fantastic healed a treat no oils or anything. Still gets swollen be careful you can have good days then bam! Take it slow
    • Posted

Yes Chris, I am in North London. Most encouraging to hear of your recovery. I have just walked to my Pilates class in my sandals. I went that far on Saturday on my wedge shoe and my knee really didnt like that. Today knee not complaining but I am limping and dont really know why. The foot doesnt hurt, so why I am overcompensating. Am slowing it right down, but perhaps its because the toes are still not flexible enough. I wondered if the 'honeymoon' period was over, and I think it probably is and ow the foot has to re-learn how to be a foot again!

Thank you for the advice on driving again.

• Posted

That's great! If he said that your foot is completely healed than I don't see why you can't drive. Does it hurt when you push down on it? I had the scarf procedure and was driving a week later.
    • Posted

I think I am going to just have to sit in the car with the engine off and see if I can push down. Foot feels a little bit like its been newly hatched, and taking things fairly cautiously. Am limping but am trying not to limp as it doesnt hurt to walk on the foot so dont know why the other foot overcompensates, maybe the body knows best? Though once you get into the habit of a limp, I suspect it may be hard to break.

Many thanks for your input.

• Posted

Good morning Dot.

Congratulations!

I had  surgery for exactly same as you plus a hammertoe correction in November 2013 and it's been very successful and I'm having my other foot done 1st October ( inus hammertoe as I don't have one on this foot).

Just a few points which you may like to consider.

Just don't overdo things. Your foot will be weak from being encased in bandages / dressings for such a long time and you'll basically realise that your balancemay have shifted now that you don't ave a bunion on your foot. So, when you're out walkng around don't focus toomuch on the speed you want to walk at but, focus on getting yor fot re-acqauinted with the walking movement. I made this discovery as I did feel slightly unbalanced for quite a while and used an ordinary walking stick for a couple of mnths. It's amazing how the exra support from the stick helps.

As for driving ( Please read the following document on the website of the Royal National Orthopadic Hospital   -  ' A Patient's Guide to Bunions ( Hallux Valgus) and Lesser Toe Deformities'  )  . You must nfy r car insurerthat ou have had ths surgery unless you drive an automatic gear chane car.You must be able to perform an emergency stop effectively.

Your consultant wil have told you about notifying the car insurer. It's mentioned  in the document I have mentioned above. Your insurance premiums will not be affected   but it is required that the insurer has on record the details of  your surgery in case you have any incident whilst out driving.

I notified my insurer and it hasn't affected the cost of my premiums.

You may find that you may get some discomfort under your foot at first when you begin driving again. So, try to keep your journeys to a minimum.

I had to watch what I did as I had discomfort for the first few weeks but can confirm that I now drive without any ill effect.

I apply aqeous cream every day to both feet as it's a great moisturiser

Good Luck.

Gillian

• Posted

Hi Gillian,

Many thanks for your input.

I only had my foot bandaged for the first two weeks, after that I had a dressing over the incision for a week and then no further protection apart from the wedge shoe whenever I was vertical.

Have been trying to walk without the limp and have slowed it right down. I think I do manage a few steps limp-less, and will try and keep concentrating on that.

Went to see my GP or something else this morning and she seemed to think it would be OK to drive as long as I can flex the foot, which I can. I wont be too gung-ho about it and will take your advice.

I did wonder about Physio but she didnt seem to think it necessary though that may be from the NHS cost point of view.

The balance on the whole seems OK, and I did go back to the gym this morning, not expecting to be able to do very much, but I did my usual routine without any difficulties, so was very happy about that. I could also ride the exercise bike which was really important as we want to do a cycling holiday end of September. Cycling should be easier than walking, though I guess the hills may have to be walked...

So pleased your first osteotomy went well and wish you good luck for the other foot. I guess you are well prepared for what to expect which makes it a lot less daunting. I think you are wise to have not had them both done at the same time.

Go well

• Posted

Hi Dot.

I wondered about physio and did get the opprtunity to ask my consultant via his secretary what if anything I should do. The reply was that he doesn't usually recommend ay form of physio and prefers to leave the patient to just allow the foot to heal in it's own time. That's what I did. So, I was glad I got the information directly from the expert.

Gillian

• Posted

Hi Gillian,

It is very helpful to have that piece of information. A lot of the other people on this forum, do seem to have had Physio. I suppose one doesnt know if you were to have it whether that would improve the mobility sooner, but I am doing some exercises, and I am sure it will all come good in its own time. 

No doubt there are other consultants who have different ideas. Still I think I should be able to overcome the limp.

Many thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.