Six weeks in and no exercises given, any ideas?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my bunion removed with a v Chevron incision done and have a very large screw in my foot, as seen on my xray. I have beeen given no exercises and given a small sandal designed for heel walking only and crutches. Around the house i use one crutch but loger trips to the gate or shops (twice in 6 weeks!!) means both crutches. Any advice for ecercises or is it that the large screw is limiting any movement and that is why i get severe pain when i try anything clever!! The swelling has all but gone and my skin around the wound site looks brown and dead and is falling off but i guess that is the healing and remodelling going on. The toe however is still very crooked and veering to the right as it was prior to surgery, not too happy about that. To think I have been off work for 6 weeks for nothing is not making me too thrilled. Visit surgeon in 2 days for 6 week check up, so lets see what his thoughts are.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had similar experience once I had seen the surgeon at 6 weeks he said fine to get moving,  albeit still no instructions on what sort of movement and incredibly a 12 week wait for physio. I think pretty normal to be stiff I am now 8+ weeks and despite best efforts still very difficult to move the big toe though perseverance is the key I now have a good routine three times a day of warm water soak, self physio and then ice pack and elevate,  still stiff as I said but am optimistic that this will improve.  Re angle it might settle, my hammer toe was initially facing the wrong angle but massage and tape is hopefully sorting it ! 

All the best in your recovery, 

Lou

• Posted

Thank you Lou, I have seen that some of the folk here use those silicone toe spreaders so have got one from ebay. The 1st joint of the big toe is still very swollen and the thought of moving it to much makes it ache. I am self employed as a therapist so have lots of knowledge for recovery, but would love some guidelines as to what i can do. Ive never had a broken bone and is all a bit new.
    • Posted

Hi there, 

I too have a toe separator evidence for them not great but anecdotally seems ok. My chap just told me to begin with moving big toe back and forth when I remember , I have seen some You Tube clips re physio post op so have copied some of those ! Not great really such lack of guidance,  the wonderful world of the NHS !

• Posted

Yes it seems we have been left in the dark a bit, and having to rely on youtube instead of  good medical advice is a bit sad. Seeing i have worn flat shoes as long as i can remember i am puzzled why i needed this surgery. Will keep in mind about the toe separators not delivering and not have too much epectation of them. Thank you for your advice.
  • Posted

Hi, I really think you ought to have been given some exercises to do after the first couple of weeks. I am week three after surgery and only got a couple of exercises, ie bend your toe over and try and pick up a piece of tissue from the floor with your toes. I was told that physiotherapy is not available for bunion surgery! But I have found a great routine on this ortho surgeon's website - see link below - having done it for a week, five times a day I am at last getting my toe to bend a bit and the toe pushes are not as painful.

http://www.davidgordonortho.co.uk/patient-info/rehabilitation-after-injury-or-surgery/foot-rehabilitation/hallux-valgus-surgery-rehabilitation/

Best wishes for your healing!

• Posted

Goodness , l wish I had seen this 8 weeks ago,  I was advised only to wiggle big toe when I remembered!  Now 8 weeks post op and working hard to get foot moving again,  painful and slow process ! 

Bw,

Louise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.