Six weeks post op and ready to sign off

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All, 

I want to end on a positive note as I’m leaving this forum. I am six weeks post op from a left total knee replacement and patella tomorrow. All I can say is that my own personal experience has been a positive one and I want to give the other side of the story to those pre op. 

The first two weeks were tough, week three is when it turned around. I started driving again, went to the supermarket and went back to work part time. I reduced my pain meds, got rid of the crutches and started getting my life back. Pre op I made sure I was as fit as possible for the surgery, I did my prehab and I am sure that helped speed up my recovery. Getting back to normal as soon as possible also helped - when you are living your life you have less time to focus on your knee, you just get on with it. 

I have one more physio on Wednesday and I am seeing my surgeon on Saturday to schedule the right tkr. I can only recommend anyone who needs this operation to fully commit to it and just go for it. I was determined that I would have a quick, positive recovery and that is what I have had. 

I wish everyone on here all this best for their recovery and hope anyone pre op can take something from this. I was inspired by a lady who told me is her great recovery and if one person gets the same from this post then my work is done.

Good luck to all c

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

That's just great, and its brilliant you have taken the time to share your positive experience. People do look around on here when researching, in the light of considering knee replacement surgery, and you had a nice straight forward experience which will be encouraging to people I am sure.

And you are going for number two! 😀

You had a rapid recovery, some take a lot longer; it's all part of life's rich tapestry, the huge variety. It's so good to have an example of am quick one though! Things continue to improve also...it's quite amazing how much they do.

• Posted

I can't tell you how good this is to hear. I am due to have TKR next week. Getting very anxious now, your post has really helped. Thank you so much for sharing. Hope all goes well in the future for you. X

• Posted

Hope the 2nd one gives you the same fabulous results. Take care of the new equipment and enjoy your pain free life.

• Posted

Great to hear that it has gone so smoothly for you but it's a shame you're leaving the forum. 6 weeks is such a short time I think it took me that long to recover after an arthroscopy 😂 All the best and enjoy your new knee  

• Posted

I can't tell you how good this is to hear. I am due to have TKR next week. Getting very anxious now, your post has really helped. Thank you so much for sharing. Hope all goes well in the future for you. X

• Posted

Hi Debs,

I was a bit of a freak pre op - I was actually looking forward to the surgery as the bone on bone pain I was suffering was simply vile. I figured that the sooner I had my op, the sooner I started my recovery and could get on with the rest of my life. 

Go at it with the attitude that you will have a great positive recovery and I hope that helps you. 

I would be a great fan of worrying if it every changed anything but it doesn’t so just concentrate on the positive and how great it will be when you have the benefit of a fantastic new knee!

Good luck & hope all goes well x

• Posted

I was desperate for mine and so grateful for the surgery! Lived for the day for months...still got nervous the week before though!😀😃

• Posted

I am also due to have my surgery next week ,but i fear it may be cancelled as i have a bad dose of bronchitis which i am struggling to get over. ....I'm praying that I'll recover by Friday .....best of luck,,,,we may be recovering the same time ,,,I hope!

• Posted

How wonderful to hear how well you've done. It really is good to hear a positive story. 

It is also good to be pain free isn't it!

I wish you well for the future, but sorry we're losing you.

Maybe you can dip in from time to time to recount your story to new people.??

Take care

Marilyn 

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.